Horizontal Band saw question

The saw should be fine, but as C bag says there was a long thread on these not to long ago. I was a little surprised that some who owned them felt they were at best equal to the ubiquitous 4x6 saws from Harbor Frieght / Grizzly / Jet et al and perhaps a little inferior.

Still the 4x6 saws are hard to beat for the price so being rated about equal is not a bad thing and $100-200 fixed up is not a bad price.

Last edited:
Ok. I just picked it up. It needs tires and new bushings. General cleanup. Paint is decent. I pointed out the issues and he threw in a 1/2hp Taiwan bench grinder also all for $80. Grinder runs fine.

When I get to fixing it up I will start a new thread.
eedc1f08ae9c64f18dcc671f43d90c8a.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

Good deal, that little grinder looks like a common design with Jet. One can never have too many bench grinders.

I think that I my 5th. It is the highest HP I have. Once I get my garage/shop organized I will have a grinding section. Set each one up for a particular purpose. Wire wheels, buffers,drill bits (setup a General/Craftsman drill bit sharpener, lathe bits, then a general all purpose grinder.
Un
As for the saw. The nylon bevel gear looks to be in good shape. I was able to find the drawing for it. So I will try my hand at 3D modeling it. Then give the STL to the SLS department at work. Hopefully they can print me a few before we close down.

I will replace the 3 bronze bushings $5 each from McMaster and the tires( ordered last night $30) I will weld up some blades if I have coils that size at work.

Cutting oil is my blood.

I think that I my 5th. It is the highest HP I have. Once I get my garage/shop organized I will have a grinding section. Set each one up for a particular purpose. Wire wheels, buffers,drill bits (setup a General/Craftsman drill bit sharpener, lathe bits, then a general all purpose grinder.
Un
As for the saw. The nylon bevel gear looks to be in good shape. I was able to find the drawing for it. So I will try my hand at 3D modeling it. Then give the STL to the SLS department at work. Hopefully they can print me a few before we close down.

I will replace the 3 bronze bushings $5 each from McMaster and the tires( ordered last night $30) I will weld up some blades if I have coils that size at work.

Cutting oil is my blood.

I think that nylon gear was one of the identified weaknesses, so if you have the ability to 3D print replacements, problem solved.

I think they also use a slightly smaller blade unique to that saw, so availability is not quite as good as the 4x6 saws, but they are out there.

$80 for the saw and a working grinder sounds like a good deal to me.

The nylon gear is in decent shape. I found the prints for the gear. I will try to draw it up in MasterCam. If I can do it. I will have my work print one for a backup. I am trying to visualize the 3 different angles on the teeth and how to model that. I might try to just model the gear profile which is easy as the is a C hook to to that. Then create a solid using extrude and taper. Not sure if that will get it correct or not.

I figure I will put maybe $100 more into it. As for blades they are available on EBay. Most are .025. Craftsman calls out .020. That might cause tracking issues as bending the thicker blade that tight might cause that problem. I will find out.

20d9062f2dd09d606ccedd1fb844409f.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

I took the saw apart enough to check all of the bushings. It looks like I only need to replace 2. Taking it apart. The nylon bevel gear is in ok shape. There is a lot of wear on the actual bevel on the wheel. There is enough to work fine. I will call Clausing tomorrow and see if they have a print for that. If they do. I will try my hand at making one. I will need to figure out the gear cutting situation. Lathe work will be straightforward.

After looking at how to cut the gear. I will be living with what I have. I would need to buy way to much.

3c472bc3d228ac619239e25cb808dfee.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

Last edited:
Well I downloaded the STL file for the Pinion gear. It was blank. So I took the print I pulled off of the internet. Then created a solid model of it. Sent it over to our SLS department and they will print me 2.

I also called Clausing and the sent me the drawing for the drive wheel. I will model that and attempt to cut the gear teeth on the CNC mill. I will post some screenshots when I get it modeled.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Here is what I did.
First I drew up the gear profile. Using MasterCam gear hook.
4ff5c44bf03cf78fa822e09f94186d43.jpg

Second I moved the gear profiles to the extents of the thickness .750 on each end. I then scaled up to get the max size. Then the other end I scaled down to get the min. I left the original in position as per print.
5eceefe636ff9a33ceb42701214977f5.jpg

7e33c36838144d533e908860d09ad735.jpg

I then created a loft solid.
3cc561d985514ace9001a98eb0356aa8.jpg

Leaving all 3 wire geometry I saw that all looked good.

I then moved on to hollowing out the front and adding the large chamfer. I created the geo to remove and created a revolved solid.
f5087a5ed69afbe448f684b7f10bbd17.jpg

As the solid disappears no pic. Here is the result.
231949af1b60512e86ad06bacb0e05a2.jpg

Continue on next post.

Cutting oil is my blood.

So next I created a simple revolve to add where the blade rides. I then crated more geometry to hollow out the back and make a recess for the hub. I will be making this in 2 pieces. Stock limited.
8ed51d07567275d2dcb944d27870328f.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

Back