Horizontal Bandsaw advice

To me Taiwan is value over China…for more reasons than quality. I just don’t think it’s value is nearly double.

My Harbor Freight saw was made in Taiwan. Not sure if that is the case with the current ones they are selling?

I think they changed models again. I saw a video from 2018 and that one looks much better than what they have now.

You must have a discerning eye my friend. I see nothing "much" different at all. But you should go with your gut on this stuff. When you're the one putting down the money, the only person whose opinion will be nagging in your head later is you. If the extra money gets you something that you trust, I say spend it.

Attachments

• 831500CB-F7C7-4C2A-A18A-92EB12757AD5.png
    831500CB-F7C7-4C2A-A18A-92EB12757AD5.png
    470.2 KB · Views: 136
I bought the big Harbor Freight saw a few months back. From what I can tell in photos, it's the same saw Jet sells, just a few changes made in where things are mounted. The HF saw is a beast. I replaced the blade with a bi-metal Lennox blade. The very first cut I made was to cut some 10x4 'I' beam. I had made no adjustments to the saw and it cut the beam perfectly in all directions.

The saw was a couple of inches too low for my liking, so I took the bottom of the metal cage and put caster on it, then put the saw on top of that. I am running light cutting oil for lube instead of water based coolant. I've heard too many people complain about rancid fluid. Once I got the tank full, the coolant system worked just fine.

Just a few observations. The old new saw had a much more elegant shut off mechanism close to the rear of the saw. The new new saw has a janky metal shutoff. The power module on the old new saw is mounted on the bandsaw cover with quality gland connectors, and new new is up front and basic. The old new saw had a coolant delivery system using loc-line at the cut zone, and new new went back to the old method. None of these things really are deal killers, but it is a sign of moving in the wrong direction. I have a feeling that they sourced it from Taiwan for a few years, and now they are back to a Chinese manufacturer. It just looks like the tool has grown more primitive.
You must have a discerning eye my friend. I see nothing "much" different at all. But you should go with your gut on this stuff. When you're the one putting down the money, the only person whose opinion will be nagging in your head later is you. If the extra money gets you something that you trust, I say spend it.

I would second the thought that bandsaws are hard to kill. I might also add the qualifier that that statement most often applies to those made for the Commercial or Industrial market. Personally I would look for a used industrial/commercial model. There are many quality names to look for like Wilton, Wells, HEM, Amada, Do All, Kysor Johnson, Dake Johnson, Marvel, Startrite, Kalamazoo, etc., etc.

In many cases these can be found at a fraction of the cost of a new hobby grade machine, and even purchased used will likely outlast a new hobby grade machine. I purchased a 7"x 12" Startrite (H175) horizontal saw used (built in the 1980's) more than 20 years ago. The asking price was less than 1/3 the price of the PM machine you're currently looking at.

In my case the machine was taken out of service because it wasn't fast enough to keep up with production demands. Rather than destroy it the owner purchased a larger, faster machine and sold me the Startrite. I must admit in the 20+ years I've had it the machine has needed some replacement parts. It's gone through 4 blades ($40.00 ea.), 1 blade brush ($3.95), and 4 blade guide bearings ($3.00 ea.). All in all it's provided more value than almost any other machine in the shop. At times it's been so busy I had to buy a backup machine. That's where the Racine power hacksaw came into the picture.

As an FYI there are currently more than a dozen respected brand name commercial saws currently listed on eBay in the price range of the PM you're considering. Keep in mind most have a listed asking price plus a "Best Offer" option. I have found over the years most people or companies listing "best offer" will take 25% or more off the asking price for serious buyers.

Only saw I can find near by on CL is this one. Not sure of its actual pedigree, as I think it was rebranded for MSC?

$900 seems steep, but: Machines tend to go for a premium in GA as shops have moved or closed, and what do I really know about value of old machines being a noob to all this. Any thoughts on this?

I bought the HF 7x12, does a great job.. Plus HF does provide support after sale. When my saw arrived the pulley cover was dented. i contacted HF and they sent replacement, no questions asked... IMO, get the HF. Or look online for used.. I am sure the PM is a nice saw, but the HF is less expensive.. Finding coupon for that saw takes a while, but it does happen.. (like this weekend, 10% off)

Last edited:
Back