Horizontal Bandsaw advice

Just to the left of the MSC logo there appears to be a data plate. I would contact the seller and ask for the information from that plate. Usually the bottom line on the plate gives the manufacturer's name and location. It looks like a sturdy machine from the single picture available. If the machine is made in the US, Europe, or Taiwan it's probably good quality. Just the fact that it's advertised as being on a "custom stand" would warrant an inspection. All commercial/industrial saws I am aware of come on a factory built stand.

I would ask to see it run. If it makes acceptable cuts I would offer in the $600.0 to $700.00 range

If you really like the PM bandsaw and inevitably end up comparing every other saw to the PM saw, then I say this: there's no better feeling than getting the tool that your heart is set on to get, years go by quickly but you'll never regret getting what you always wanted. every similar saw seems to be a compromise and is only considered because the price is lower /more reasonable , if you can afford the high price, go for the PM saw and never look back.

Being on the fiscally conservative side (read cheap), I found a very nice 7x14 Taiwan made saw for $200. They are out there fairly regularly if you keep an eye out. Mike

Too far from Macon?

7x12 is the sweet spot for what I was looking for. I purchased the MSC one for 700 today. Needs some clean up and a little lubrication love but it’s a Taiwanese machine, and ran nice.

The “custom stand” is just caster wheels added to what was probably feet and standard wheels. I bought it today for $700.

Just to the left of the MSC logo there appears to be a data plate. I would contact the seller and ask for the information from that plate. Usually the bottom line on the plate gives the manufacturer's name and location. It looks like a sturdy machine from the single picture available. If the machine is made in the US, Europe, or Taiwan it's probably good quality. Just the fact that it's advertised as being on a "custom stand" would warrant an inspection. All commercial/industrial saws I am aware of come on a factory built stand.

I would ask to see it run. If it makes acceptable cuts I would offer in the $600.0 to $700.00 range

I have been giving the machine a shake down today on 2.5” x 4” 6061. Cutting a 12’ bar up into 3’ pieces to make it easier to store and handle. My takeaways so far:

- needs a new blade. It’s taking a long time to cut this aluminum.

- drive shaft gear was about 1/2 inch or more out of alignment. Rubber mallet fixed that, and tightened the locking grubs. Runs quieter now, and I’m sure the belt appreciates it.

- Coolant tank was a mess. Cleaned it up, removed the pump, disassembled it, and cleaning it up. Electric side pulled and inspected, and it looks great. Tank side was a rusted mess. Washed and flaked off the rust, broke down the impeller, and cleaned it all. Now the tank side assembly is doing its think in an evaporator bath.

- The “custom stand” prevents me removing the tank to clean, so for now I have the base lifted proud of the l bracket cradle it sits in. Noodling a better solution now. Want to get the casters or wheels pushed back behind the motor for stability in vertical. I’m thinking wheels in the back, and locking casters in front. 4 casters becomes a PITA when moving it around.

Ok well I got 2 new blades in today. A 6-10 and a 10-14.

I put the 6-10 on to cut some more aluminum into manageable 6’ length to store, and the new blade absolutely tore through it. What was taking the old blade 10 minutes, this blade did it in under 1 minute. I am a very happy camper. New blade is mounted in pic below.

085D676D-DAAD-46AF-8B93-AE74C0F2F6D2.jpeg

Back