horizontal bandsaw cylinder

rambin

Registered
Registered
I have one of the rebadged wrong foo type 7 by 11s and the cylinder that holds the saw up seems to need some attention im not sure if its low oil or what but I have to lift it up higher then I want b4 the cylinder grabs... any idea whats in these for oil? one of these days I wanna take it apart and check all seals and refill.. just don't know whats in it.. also has anyone added a quick down? bypassing turning the needle valve full open

The check valve might be getting sticky, also has the temperature recently dropped? I've been having some similar issues with my bandsaw feed system too lately, and it's been pretty cold in my garage
I'm using light mineral oil in mine but I've heard some use ATF or power steering fluid
Mark

When you figure out the problem let us know, mine does the same thing.

Greg

I use hydraulic jack oil but ATF or even ISO 32 hydraulic fluid should work. One thing I have found is the system can't be completly filled because the capacity is less on the rod side of the cylinder. The air gap in the cylinder causes some of the problem (air compresses). When raising, mine will drop about 6" on the largest part of the swing before it takes hold

Dunno about the OPs ,but I have an old Parkanson 12" ,made in Taiwan, Im guessing,and the cylinder wouldnt lift .....pulled the cylinder ,piston seal was gone...........all I had was some square section felt,so i used that as a piston packing,and its lasted for years.

I called Dake to ask what fluid to use in my Johnson Model J... they told me to use any type of light hydraulic oil, such as brake fluid or power steering fluid. Brake fluid is too corrosive, so I used psf... works great.

-Bear

I bought a Horiz bandsaw with a great cylinder that allowed some really nice features. The guy I bought it from had just rebuilt it. Unknown to me, he used rubber O rings with ATF fluid. 20 ounces of ATF on the floor later... :mad:

Many O rings & seals don't like ATF. It swells them but then they deteriorate. Gotta use hydraulic oil / ATF compatible ring & seals.

Yes ,two things O rings dont like is Dexron/ATF and a similar smelling aircraft hydraulic fluid ,which is a phosphate ester ,non flammable ,far as I know...........Teflon O rings can take anything tho expensive............but be very careful not to use hardware store O ring kits,which are only meant for water.

The red aircraft oil I've used gets too sticky over time. Don't like it at all.

Back