Horizontal Benchmaster

Daughty

Registered
Registered
I picked this up about two months ago, I need to build a mounting plate for the motor. Anyone have any idea what size motor went on these?

20180812_123648.jpg

20180812_123652.jpg

20180812_123657.jpg

20180812_123720.jpg

20180812_124001.jpg

Just shooting from the hip, I'd think 3/4hp would be about right. Mike

Your machine looks to be the same general size as my Atlas horizontal. I run mine with a half(1/2) HP motor, what it came with, on light duty casual machining. My thoughts would be anything from a third(1/3) HP to a three quarter(3/4) HP, depending on the anticipated load. I tend to be a little conservative in motor sizing, looking to protect the machine more so than the work. Half(1/2) HP would be my best guess, three quarter(3/4) HP being about the maximum.

My opinion now, just remember that everybody has one and most of them smell pretty bad.

Bill Hudson​

Score ! Interesting machine you have there as it has handles that were also on the Duro (Duro later became Benchmaster) but clearly you have a Benchmaster . Possibly a very early one . Have fun getting it going . Any plans to the get vertical tooling ?
http://www.lathes.co.uk/duro/

Score ! Interesting machine you have there as it has handles that were also on the Duro (Duro later became Benchmaster) but clearly you have a Benchmaster . Possibly a very early one . Have fun getting it going . Any plans to the get vertical tooling ?
http://www.lathes.co.uk/duro/
Honestly if I could find the vertical attachment for a reasonable picture, I'd probably buy it. Know of anyone selling it?

I was looking about a year ago and I did find a vert Benchmaster that needed a rebuild and was missing the spindle . The guy who owned it had the means to make a new spindle and then sell the machine to me . I decided against it because of shipping mainly , anyhow he was a real nice guy and he had another Benchmaster with all the options . As far as knowing anything for sale , sorry I don't . However I put the word out here and at another machining site and got a few hits .

My horizontal mill has a 1/2 HP motor, and is fine for the size of work I do, and the cutters I own.

Back