horizontal or vertical band saw for steel cutting?

Mr. Science

Registered
Registered
It's looking like i need a bandsaw for stock cutting ... most often stuff like 1.5" steel angle etc but I need to do mitres also frequently as well as 90 degree cuts. Would i be much better off with a horizontal bandsaw? or a vertical? I know a lot of people in welding fab use the horizontal ones but I wasn't sure if there was an advantage (assumed it had more to do with the fact that welders were using longer, heavier stock that was more awkward on a vertical unit) ... any advice appreciated.

It's difficult to cut long lengths with a vertical, Most of the smaller horizontal saws can be converted for vertical cutting. I probably use mine more in the vertical position than the horizontal. That said, they lack the ability to use a fence or crosscut guide and will not have the accuracy of a good vertical bandsaw. If I had to pick one, it would be the horizontal saw though.

If you have a horizontal for cutting stock, you could get a Swag table and a variable speed hand bandsaw for vertical. I use the heck out of my Swag.

I also have a horizontal auto-hacksaw, hard to find ($75) and Milwaukee w/swag ($140). This pair does 99% of what I need.

I also have a cheap horizontal bandsaw and a chop saw. I don’t use either.

what's an auto HACKSAW? like a reciprocating one? - HEY jeez - i never even thought about using my bosch jigsaw ... hmmm i wonder ... i guess it might be okay for smaller stock (but slow for larger)

For welding fab, I mostly use my chop saw. It's a battle-scarred old soldier that dutifully does the job quickly and without complaint.

For more precise cuts, accurate square/miter cuts, non-ferrous work, and all machinable stock, I use my cheap HF horizontal saw. This one's also turning out to be a trooper. Takes just a little adjustment and alignment work out of the box to turn this saw into a champ. Starrett replacement blades are cheap in this size. The blade it comes with is better than I expected.

I can do long work easily enough on either tool. I just set up a material handling stand or a sawhorse to get square with the saw.

I think the big selling point of the horizontal bandsaw is the ability for it to cut through thick stock while you walk away and do other things.

If you have a horizontal for cutting stock, you could get a Swag table and a variable speed hand bandsaw for vertical. I use the heck out of my Swag.

Ditto. I've had a bit of trouble keeping the blade square to the fence (or to the miter gauge slides) - seems like there's a small amount of play in the saw mount (Dewalt, not Miluake). You done any mods to yours?

The question, do I need a vertical or horizontal bandsaw? The answer: Yes. Horizontals are good for taking long stock to lenght, if you have one with the capability they can do angle cuts, as well. Verticals are good for doing work on smaller pieces that you may not be able to hold in the horizontal, also doing more intricate work on plate. I have an old Craftsman (King Sealy) 3 wheel vertical bandsaw that's been slowed down to metal cutting speeds, it's been one of my best tool purchases, I use it on nearly every project I do. I later bought a Grizzly horizontal bandsaw and it's been a great tool as well. They are both great to have in the shop, but they do different tasks. My recomendation based on what you said about this project is to find a horizontal for now, and look for a vertical later. I paid $45 for my vertical bandsaw and put a bit more in the drive to fix som problems. I actualy have spent more on blades than I have for the machine. I've cut 2" aluminum and 1" steel plate on it. It requires patients, but it will get there.

to Mr. Science: It cuts 4-5 inch solid round stock pretty quick....perfect for a hobby shop

Back