horizontal or vertical band saw for steel cutting?

I well am aware of the differences between a cold saw and an abbrasive cutoff saw, the cold saws I have used are much more expensive and were fully automated. They are lumped together because mechanically they operate on a similar principle which is a round cutoff blade cuting down on the material. I have used both ferrous and non-ferrous cutoff blades on a modified DeWalt chop saw for smaller stock, but much prefer a horizontal bandsaw for material cutoff. I have also had kickback and material catch on the blade from circular saws which can be quite dangerous, a swivel type horizontal bandsaw would be more ideal as I have outlined.

I well am aware of the differences between a cold saw and an abbrasive cutoff saw, the cold saws I have used are much more expensive and were fully automated. They are lumped together because mechanically they operate on a similar principle which is a round cutoff blade cuting down on the material. I have used both ferrous and non-ferrous cutoff blades on a modified DeWalt chop saw for smaller stock, but much prefer a horizontal bandsaw for material cutoff. I have also had kickback and material catch on the blade from circular saws which can be quite dangerous, a swivel type horizontal bandsaw would be more ideal as I have outlined.

You may well be aware of the differences between a cold saw and a chop saw. However since this a hobbyists forum there are quite likely others who don't. I was attempting to explain the differences for those who might think they could use a 3,600 rpm chop saw with an abrasive blade and achieve the same results as a cold saw.
We're in the same camp as far as saw preferences. While I do have several varieties in the shop the horizontal bandsaw is the one that far and away gets the most use. As you mentioned I also use a cold saw for small stock, which in my case is almost exclusively aluminum. I use it primarily to avoid having to change the blade on the bandsaw multiple times a day. The cold saw makes quick work of the small stock, and the gullets of the cold saw blade don't clog as they have a tendency to do on the bandsaw.

Back