Horizontal/vertical spin indexer question

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hello,
This is a recent acquisition. I bought it used for a fair price.
It’s a Shars brand.
I know nothing about them and I need your advice.
The pin at an angle seems to be in a portion of the casting that looks to be defective??
Is this something that can be remedied?
It appears to be of questionable quality.DE9F523B-759E-46FB-AB08-C8B1E8D95D86.jpeg95E14B11-A4CE-47D6-A183-FF9F7E22E48E.jpegDA65809A-EF0C-463A-9191-C60EA152CEB3.jpeg10D6AB18-D1F0-4DD8-8F1A-4342F2A0278B.jpeg

Looks like they ran little short of cast iron when they were pouring that one.

I have a Hardinge indexer like that and that stop pin has been pressed in flush with the casting ( I suppose by the previous owner ) and it doesn't seem to affect the operation of the tool. The pin just limits the rotation of that collar.

Ted

That’s what it looks like to me, a limit retainer.

I was looking at that too, but I really didn't know what it does and also don't have any 5C collets. I mean I know it indexes, but don't know how it is different from a spin indexer or dividing head.

If you figure out let me know. :)

Dosent even look like it dose anything lol, maybe they just threw it in because it was on the print.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Jeff if it was me, I'd clean the stuffing out of it, and decide what epoxy to pour/pack in the void. JB Weld or what ever is appropriate....

Jeff , I have a Hardinge and an off brand but not a Shars . Neither have that pin , but the indexer is probably the most used accessory in the shop .

Everything you want to know about it:

Your casting is definitely thin at the pin location compared to Stephan's:

pin2.jpg

Last edited:
Another nice upgrade for the indexer . Mill or grind the outside of the casting parallel and centered to the spindle and slots on the bottom . You then have a known distance and no indicating of the fixture is necessary when mounting in your vise . :)

Back