Horizontal vs. Vertical Bandsaws: Pro's and Con's

Nogoingback

Registered
Registered
I'm starting to give some thought to purchasing a metal cutting bandsaw so the first question I need to answer whether to buy a vertical or a horizontal machine.
My shop space is limited, so the smaller footprint of the vertical would be helpful, and with the vertical I can cut lengthwise (splitting a tube, for example) as
well as cross cut. I already own a cold saw, which is limited to cutting tube and light stuff, so mostly I'll use it to cut heavier sections or bar stock for the lathe.

What else should I be thinking about before I made a decision? Any other wisdom on the subject of bandsaws is welcome.

This will really depend on what type of work you do, and how you do your work.

I love vertical bandsaws and at one time had two in operation as well as the horizontal. The verticals are great for slitting and cutting sheet, but the horizontal wins for cutting stock to length. Yes you can cut stock to length on a vertical saw, but the length is limited to the throat clearance. ie: if you have a 60" length of stock and you want to cut it into two 30" pieces you can't do it on the vertical without making an sacrificial angle cut. On the horizontal, it's no problem. And the cut from the horizontal will likely be square as well.

Another consideration might be weight. Verticals tend to be higher to the table than the horizontals, so bear that in mind for handling as well as cutting materials. I guess I would also ask, how big of a vertical would you be thinking? Something like a DoAll obviously has a bunch more capacity than a 14" Rockwell.

I no longer have my one vertical for metal cutting in operation, and I miss it for cutting sheet and plate (aluminum and brass). I don't think I would give up my horizontal though. Yes it does have a slightly larger machine stance, but all it all I think it's an easier machine to make mobile and tuck under a bench when not in use. Verticals can be mobile, but not as nicely in my opinion.

-frank

I vote for one of the ubiquitous 4 X 6 horizontal/vertical bandsaws. I own a Jet 5 X6 and it is one of the most used and useful tools in my shop. It preps almost all the rough stock for machining, debulks stuff before milling, shapes, slots, and many other tasks. It saves a great deal of work and does so with relative precision. If I didn't have room for one, I would MAKE ROOM for one.

I have a small shop. I have the ubiquitous HF type horizontal band saw. But I found out I needed a vertical saw so I went with the portable bandsaw stand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To the extent you don’t currently have a band saw, there is no question that, at least for my use (your use may vary), a small horizontal saw like the jet Mikey mentioned is the way to go. It has a small footprint. You can also make a table and convert it rather quickly into a small vertical saw.

I have a horizontal and now a vertical saw as well. However, I consider the vertical a non-necessity luxury item. A simple 5x6 horizontal saw will serve you well till you have room for both. Been there, done that!

Last edited:
Excellent advice from all of you gents. Your comments have helped me think about what I really need. For both budget and space reasons, I'm thinking about a relatively small saw.
I've been thinking about a vertical, since I'd like to cut sheet/plate as well as cut bar stock for the lathe. Aluminum is handled on my table saw with a non ferrous blade, and tube of reasonable size is done on the cold saw. If I need to cut anything really heavy I don't mind paying the steelyard or metals supplier do it on their saws. Most of the stuff I need to cut for the lathe isn't very long, so I think even a 14" vertical would do the job. I'll have a look at the horizontal/ vertical saws: I wasn't really aware of them as an option.

Last edited:
A table for vertical cutting is easily made for a H/V bandsaw. I showed one here: http://www.machinistblog.com/a-table-for-vertical-cutting-on-the-jet-5x6”-band-saw/. It allows you to safely cut shapes in sheet or plate like you envision. When you're done, remove the table and you can cut long stock to length. My saw cuts straight and clean and has done so for well over 15 years. In that time, I've gone through maybe 3 bimetal Lenox blades, honest. This is, without a doubt, one of the most useful tools I own and I would not be without it.

I also made a chip brush for mine and it works well: http://www.machinistblog.com/a-chip-brush-for-the-jet-5x6-bandsaw/

A table for vertical cutting is easily made for a H/V bandsaw. I showed one here: http://www.machinistblog.com/a-table-for-vertical-cutting-on-the-jet-5x6”-band-saw/. It allows you to safely cut shapes in sheet or plate like you envision. When you're done, remove the table and you can cut long stock to length. My saw cuts straight and clean and has done so for well over 15 years. In that time, I've gone through maybe 3 bimetal Lenox blades, honest. This is, without a doubt, one of the most useful tools I own and I would not be without it.

I also made a chip brush for mine and it works well: http://www.machinistblog.com/a-chip-brush-for-the-jet-5x6-bandsaw/

Great info mikey: I'll have a look at Jet's website and give your design some thought. What do you think of the Jet
saw generally? I have two Jet machines and honestly neither one is all that great in my view, though they do work.
I've been leaning towards an older American made machine mainly because I like the way they're built, but I'm open to
other options.

That H/V bandsaw is the only Jet thing I own. Can't attest to anything else they make but I do like that machine. I swear, I tuned it on the day I got it and it has cut straight and true ever since. If you can find a good American machine, go for it. Heck, go for an Ellis for 4 times the cost and twice the size.

That H/V bandsaw is the only Jet thing I own. Can't attest to anything else they make but I do like that machine. I swear, I tuned it on the day I got it and it has cut straight and true ever since. If you can find a good American machine, go for it. Heck, go for an Ellis for 4 times the cost and twice the size.

That is simply not true. I upgraded from an Enco saw to an Ellis 1100 and it is no bigger. Their smaller models are very affordable if you want the full functionality of a vertical, horizontal, and mitering saw. I found mine on Craig's list at a very reasonable price. AND, they are American made!

Back