Horticulturists

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
My wife needs to prune a Gardenia bush, what ratcheting hand shears are good?

Fiskars make great all around gardening tools

for 24" loppers...

for hand pruners

I've got mostly Felco and Corona but neither makes a ratcheting pruner, so the Fiskars are probably your best bet. I have a largish Fiskars lopper which works really well.

Personally I'm not a fan of the ratcheting type, I've broken two (not Fiskars brand) and just in general wasn't impressed by them.

I now use a long handled set of pruning shears / small loppers that work really well for small branches that are too big for my hand pruners. About a foot long so you get a little reach too (handy for trees or reaching into thorny bushes). Still small enough that I can tuck one of the arms into a pocket to keep my hands free. Since they are like mini-loppers they are not reliant on hand strength if that is her reason for wanting the ratcheting type.

I think this is the one I have.

https://shop.coronatoolsusa.com/bp-3225-two-handed-pruner-3-4-in.html

edit, I guess Corona does make ratcheting pruners

https://shop.coronatoolsusa.com/rp-4224d-ratchetcut-comfortgel-bypass-pruner-3-4-in.html

Last edited:
If it gets 2 handed, or she can't cut with the hand shears, she's gonna call me. This is the one and only in ground plant we have, and for a reason. I don't have time to be messing with plants. :)

In order of quality: 1. Felco 2. Fiskars 3. Corona 4. Most others.
Hand pruners I bought cheap and they didn't last, ended up with a Felco and has lasted about 2 decades and just replaced the blade.
Fiskars are innovative and has some nice features, but they have not held up over time with a lot of use, still decent.
Corona, hand pruners were not very ergonomic (older version), uncomfortable, if you are pruning all day loppers, but their loppers are a bit better. If you are looking for a ratcheting hand shear, Fiskars had a version which will do up to 1" branches, but I do not like to use a ratcheting for hand pruners, way too slow.

I have two Corona older ones and they still work decently. These have a dual link mechanism which amplifies the cutting mechanical advantage, I would say easier to use then the ratchet style. Also they have extending handles which are nice for taller or deeper branches. Fiskars has both ratcheting and amplified link, ratchet I assume could handle a larger branch but more time consuming if doing a lot of cuts.

corona-loppers-sl-4364-64 DualLINK  Extendable Bypass Lopper.jpg

You don't want to use an anvil type loppers. It crushes half of what you are trying to cut and the plant has a harder time healing. Corona brand loopers are what are used by most pruning crews in orchards. If my guys can't break a pair of Corona loopers in a season they have to be a descent product.

How much time does it take to prune a Gardenia? Less time than shopping for shears?
Dave

Back