How best to lift & mount the 1340gt?

Fallon

Registered
Registered
Well, I finally got the stands re-sprayed after their rough ride. Not a great job, but good enough to cover up the wear suffered in shipping. I read the options in the manual & had initially planned on making a clamp out of some all-thread & some 2x6es. But I apparently need to grab some nuts as the all-thread I have is bigger than what I have laying around. So I tried lifting it with a sling around the support in the center as shown for option 2 in the manual. It worked, but was way to unstable for me to do anything but pull it off the pallet. So I called it a night & figured I'd do some searching. The first photo I saw (same busted pallet & rough shipping as mine apparently) was somebody putting it on with the engine hoist straddling the stand lengthwise. I had been planning on trying to put it on broadside as it will be near a wall & there is stuff on either side restricting access to the ends.

Has anybody used an engine hoist to put the lathe on the stand broadside? was there enough clearance to get it on there before the legs on the hoist hit the back of the stand? Or do I need to move the stand or lots of other junk in the shop to go lengthwise?

I definitely don't want to avoid damaging the leadscrews & ways. Any suggestions on better rigging options?

I put the slightly shorter zinc coated bolts under the stand & was going to use the black oxide bolts that were a hair longer to mount the lathe to the stand. No mention of which ones to use where in the manual & I saw a few photos of shiny bolts for the feet & black ones for the lathe. Any chance I got those backwards?

20180307_164856.jpg

20180307_164904.jpg

20180307_172046.jpg

20180307_174439.jpg

I used an engine hoist for my 1030 last week.

I was able to get in deep enough - but, I had to use a sling that gave me some length so that I could push the lathe towards the tailstock end as it was lowered since with the legs of the hoist through the stand, it offset the lathe by about 8 inches left from the bolt holes.

Does that make sense?

NS

Fallon,

I mounted my lathe with a 2 Ton engine hoist from the broad side. I wasn't working alone though, I had help from my Dad and a friend.
I placed my slings around the center webbing in the bed just as you did but I removed the backsplash and adjusted the carraige and tailstock position to get it balanced. I used straps rated for 2 tons and doubled up on the just to be safe.

If I remember correctly, we had just enough clearance for the crane legs. Once the lathe was hoisted we had one person roll the crane while one person on either end kept it from swinging. It went into position fairly easily and while the crane was still supporting its weight I did up the bolts to the pedestals.

I am sure there is an easier/better way to do this with less people but this is what worked for me.

Hope this helps.

Chevy

Once I have the lathe as close to the final spot as I can get, I approached the lathe from the headstock end with a 2T engine hoist. Ran the carriage and tailstock to the far end, and then hooked my long strap onto the hoist. From there I went down through the bed webbing closest to the headstock, down and around the base twice, back up through the same webbing hole, up through the hoist hook, down through the frame as close to the carriage as I could get, and then back up to the hook.

A small strap was attached around the backsplash and up to the hook just for balance as the back of the lathe (where the motor is) wants to twist. Lift and install the stands, and then walk the lathe to it's final position using a cheater bar.

It may not be the best way, but I've done this four times now, by myself and am still here with all my parts. :)

Thanks for the info. Will try some additional rigging to see if I can get it to balance better. I've got a pile of heavy ratchet straps rated for several thousand lbs. Will keep preparing for a broadside lift & have a friend/neighbor who owes me several favors I was already planning on recruiting once I got it to lift & balance somewhat well to start with.

I could probably manhandle it with my current lift point & ballance. But it was just to squirly for me to risk it. Not to mention I couldn't manhandle the lathe & run the lift at the s assme time.

Probably going to skip the sealant for now. No plans to use coolant & it will make it easier too scoot the lathe into place. I've roughly leveled the stands with my machines level, but likely have a ways to go once the lathe is on. Need to level the lathe not the stands anyway. Can lift a leg on the hoist to get it around lengthwise I think without the lathe attached. Do a 2nd lift vertical only to stick some sealant between the lathe & tray if needed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

If you choose to skip the sealant, you'll probably end up lubing the insides of the pedestal from oil leaking past, just sayin'.
Mark

Origional paper image, for reference. Not a lot on lifting or mounting the machine compared to what's in the PDF I linked earlier. The sling method at the bottom definitely isn't to stable as the machine likes to shift in response to it swinging at all, which causes it to shift more in all directions.

20180308_130403.jpg

If you look in the instruction they recommend an eye or using a D-Ring, for future reference you may want to look at this previous posting. When using the cross beam as shown it would need to be locked in place, and even with that I would be hesitant. Using a jack strap through the spindle and through the lathe casting allows you to adjust horizontal balance. Make sure the tailstock is also locked at the far end of the lathe.
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...-and-old-base-cabinet-mods.56020/#post-509248

Not using sealant around the mounting bolt holes will be a problem for you down the line, it is not about using coolant but all the oil that collects in the pan in particular around the open gearbox. Even with sealant I had some oil leak into the headstock cabinet, the silicone sealant did not hold up well to oil. When I remounted my lathe at a later point I went used polyurethane sealant, also put some under the bolt washer on the the lathe base. I have not had an issue since.

Back