how big a chuck on Logan/wards 10"

Calixt0

Registered
Registered
Hello all,

You all have been so helpful to me.. the chuck that came with my lathe is a bit tore up. I've taken it apart and cleaned it good but where the key fits to adjust the jaws is really loose. So while I'm rebuilding I'm looking at 4 jaw independent chucks for this lathe. I notice that a lot of the 6" 4 jaw chucks say the will barely turn over 6" I don't see me turning anything that large very often but want the capability when needed. So what size chucks do you all recommend for these 10" lathes

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have a 10" Logan lathe. It came with an old and wore out 5" three jaw, and a good 6" four jaw. To replace the ailing three jaw, I purchased a 6" three jaw from Shars and have been very happy with it. Most of the time I do not need that large of a chuck, but it has come in handy a few times. I am considering purchasing a 4" three jaw chuck for most of my work, but need to wait until there is more money in the budget.

interesting idea. 4 or 5 " 3 jaw and larger maybe 8" four jaw independant

Having only an independent 4jaw will force you to become good at centering stock.
If you are like me your first dozen+ attempts will take forever.
Then it will magically become quick and fast.
If you can put up with the inconvenience it will serve you well long term when you want it really accurate.

My Logan 10" has an 8inch independent, and a 6inch integral 3jaw.
I only added the 3jaw recently as I prepared to sell her because I needed the space......
Yeah, terrywerm knows what I'm talking about!!

Daryl
MN

From the Logan FAQ: http://www.lathe.com/faq/index.html#_Toc95180284

2.13. What is the right size chuck for this lathe?

2.13.. Logan supplied a 5” 3-jaw chuck and a 6” 4-jaw chuck for their 10” lathes. Logan supplied a 6” 3-jaw chuck and a 6” 4-jaw chuck for their 11” lathes. Larger chucks were available, but they are impractical on these lathes because the jaws would hit the bed when the chucks were opened. Larger chucks are also heavier, so they put a strain on the spindle and spindle bearings. In general, use the smallest possible quality chuck for the job.

clueless.. I didn't think to look there.. I'm a dummy LOL

I understand that but I hate to have bought and restore a 10 " lathe to only be able to turn 6". Any one have any idea what the real limit of the 6" 4 jaw independant chucks are.. is it really just over 6.3" that I see on the specs of most chucks is that a falsely small number?

A 6" chuck can turn parts much larger than 6". Think outside the box. A big chuck often is limited by the jaws needing to clear the bed ways, as mentioned above. The bigger chuck often cannot hold as big of work as the smaller one . The chuck sizes that come with new lathes are often about optimum for general work on that size lathe. Don't forget that you can also turn between centers or mount work on a face plate.

Back