How can a rod be threaded with square threads.

dansawyer

Registered
Registered
I used a die to thread a rod and the resultant threads were not square. When the rod is threaded into a Tee nut with square threads it rotates. Regular bolts thread without rotating.
How can a die be used to cut threads that are square?
Is the best way to do this by cutting threads in a lathe?

Do you have a lathe or access to one? Other than single pointing the threads, using a lathe you can use a tailstock die holder. They're easy to make. Or you can use the face of a drill chuck (or something similar) mounted in the tailstock to square up the die & holder as you thread.

Examples, just the first pics that popped up

Confusing post . I assume you are saying that your die was crooked so you have a leaning T-bolt ? Either chase your threads in a lathe or use a die holder similar to Will's pics above .

It took some coffee and time for it to sink in. IMHO now is the time to learn single point threading. I needed a stud to thread squarely into a plate without wobbling and after a couple of tries with a die I decided I finally had the irrefutable reason to learn single point threading on the lathe. I think time wise it's faster to watch a couple of vids on YouTube and grind a cutter than to make a die holder, or that's the conclusion I came to.

Do you have a lathe or access to one? Other than single pointing the threads, using a lathe you can use a tailstock die holder. They're easy to make. Or you can use the face of a drill chuck (or something similar) mounted in the tailstock to square up the die & holder as you thread.

Examples, just the first pics that popped up
View attachment 290510

I use the drill chuck pushing/squaring the die method when I die thread on the lathe.

Stuart

In using a die in a lathe (with the exception of a die head, like a Geometric) you will nearly always see some wobble in the thread, a way around is to single point the thread until nearly finished, then size it with a die, but you will never achieve perfect accuracy or finish with common dies, that is what die heads are for.

Sounds to me that the OP it asking about Square Thread's like on a lead screw, NOT as in being Squared to the work!
OP, is this what you are asking? If yes the only way i know how to make square threads would be to single point using a special square ground cutting tool, preferably just a bit narrower then the finished thread size you are going for. I would plung cut straight in to depth and then slowly widen until you hit your spec however you could grind the tool to spec and form the thread by advancing in to depth.

Sounds to me that the OP it asking about Square Thread's like on a lead screw, NOT as in being Squared to the work!
OP, is this what you are asking? If yes the only way i know how to make square threads would be to single point using a special square ground cutting tool, preferably just a bit narrower then the finished thread size you are going for. I would plung cut straight in to depth and then slowly widen until you hit your spec however you could grind the tool to spec and form the thread by advancing in to depth.

I almost thought that too as the post is confusing. But when he mentioned "result threads were not square" & "threaded into a T-nut" I figured he was talking about the threads not be square to the rod. T-nuts usually don't have square profile threads.

Thank you, the question was not clear. The question was how to create threads that are square to the rod. Using the tail stock as a die holder is a great idea. I will follow that advice.

Incidentally, It also surprises me how far off angle from a pre-drilled hole a tap can go when hand tapping. I love my Lassy tapper to keep it straight.
Robert

Back