How can I remove the x axis scale on a PM25MV?

Look at the new one too.....compare. I wonder if it is using visible light emitters. Probably not as infrared was historically common in encoders. But if so you might be able to see the emission pattern, via the microscope, if you power up the head. A picture would be educational.

Got the new read head into the scale. Slides freely as it should. The head is screwed to the base of the mill using a spacer and some washers. I have found this to be incredibly annoying to install the last few times, so today I super glued the washers to the aluminum spacer. At least this way it's only two pieces to deal with rather than four fiddly bits on the back side of the mill. Waiting for it to completely set, then will install the X DRO. The "new read head" had some crud on some of the non optical surfaces so I had to clean it up with some isopropyl and Qtips. There were also some fibers and I think a hair. Was a bit dirtier than I expected. I was able to pluck the fibers with tweezers. Think it is ready to go now.

Passes the preliminary test! Zero, go to 3.000 and back to zero. This time I used a 0.0001" DTI to check that I was back to zero. I set the DTI to read 0.0040", zeroed the DRO, went to +3.0000", then back until the DTI read 0.0040" and read 0.00020" on the DRO. Certainly within my measurement error at the moment. A lot better than losing 0.030" before the read head replacement.

Now I need to check the actual calibration but at least it's close now. All that's left to do is to tie up the cables again. Won't tie them too tight.

Back