How Colchester Used to Make 'Em

Watching them induction harden each gear tooth is something you would never see today.
Since I have a Colchester, made in England around this time period, I find this video to be very satisfying.

Engineering - a bit of a lost art nowadays, I particularly liked the bed casting, machining and induction hardening - lost arts on this side of the pond :(

Just for fun, I looked up the Gamet bearings for my lathe. In case someday I got a wild hair. (there is nothing wrong with the ones I already have!!)
Those 3 Gamet ultra precision bearings would run $3,656 plus tax and shipping.
I paid $5,000 for the lathe.
Holy smokers.
Engineering - a bit of a lost art nowadays, I particularly liked the bed casting, machining and induction hardening - lost arts on this side of the pond :(
I wonder how they do it today? (gear hardening I mean)
The castings are beautiful. Plenty of craftsmen working in those plants.

Off topic, but I once owned one of the vans shown at 24:00 in the video, a 1960 Thames 10 CWT, model 400e. Mine was left hand drive to suit American roads, and was the delivery van body type, not a passenger van. It was a crude but simple and robust vehicle, and I enjoyed driving the rare (in the USA) machine around town. It was originally purchased and operated by the local Coca Cola bottling company. It was similar in size to a Volkswagen van, but front engine, rear wheel drive.

Looks like a chick magnet Bob. I bet you had to beat them off with a stick, oh, this didn’t come out quite right

Thank you - great video!
I used to work for an engineering company that had a Colchester lathe in the shop. My favourite.

9:13 - "Zinc chromate primer makes a good base for the paint" and the guy sprays it on with no mask on. How times have changed!

Yeah ,that probably explains why none of my friends have made 75,.....however ,I took precautions ....I used to turn my head to one side .....cant say safer than that.

Back