How Did I Become One Of Those Old Guys?

Enjoyed reading this thread. 69, with a half-dozen great-grandchildren and all the usual aches and pains.

My favorite age-related quote: "As I got older, I thought I was getting more tolerant. Turns out I just don't give a s**t."

Was talking to my wife and daughter this morning and mentioned something that happened in the late 70's. Then it dawned on me, that's 40 years ago!
Worked at the same job for 39 years then decided to become self employed. That was almost 7 years ago! I guess maybe I'm am old!

I am 42 going on 52 after a motorcycle accident in 2009, but I am thankful for the older members here,because that is where all the knowledge comes from that they get to pass on to others and therefore I thank you. I myself have learned a lot from the "experienced", not old machinists here.

Somebody asked me the other day how long I’d been flying. I said it was coming up on 50 years. They asked if I was planning to fly until I couldn’t do it anymore. I said no, I plan to keep flying until just before I can’t do it anymore.

I guess it’s the same strategy about machining. Probably most everything else, too.

Holy.........,well you know. Thats big. Enjoy it
I was walking through spray-weld department, and there were three guys standing on the bed of a lathe,
That they used stepladders to climb onto the bed!

I spent today running a radial drill to drill 25 1-3/4" holes, took me almost seven hours

I am 42 going on 52 after a motorcycle accident in 2009, but I am thankful for the older members here,because that is where all the knowledge comes from that they get to pass on to others and therefore I thank you. I myself have learned a lot from the "experienced", not old machinists here.
I just saw where you are

my best friend was born in Petermaritzburg, grew up on research stations

I was walking through spray-weld department, and there were three guys standing on the bed of a lathe,
That they used stepladders to climb onto the bed!

I spent today running a radial drill to drill 25 1-3/4" holes, took me almost seven hours
I would've suggest you watchout for those chips........they might kill you :laughing:

I just saw where you are

my best friend was born in Petermaritzburg, grew up on research stations
O that is good. I live near Cape Town in the Western Cape,a bit far from Pietermaritzburg, just shows how small the world is. Is he also a machinist?

Back