How did we invent measuring precise tool.

Koi

Registered
Registered
I saw a video of a machinist using a selfmade indexing plate for cuttimg gears and he used a a microscope to make sure the lines line up perfectly in the microscopic level so it kicked a thought inside me is this how we made measuring tools or should i say standard high decimal measurement since microscope's invention was quite a long time ago .

Dividing machines of many types made highly accurate parts and reference tooling a long, long time ago, and continue to be used today. Microscopes would be used more for one off parts and measurements. We make highly accurate parts and tools without fancy metrology equipment in production environments, except for keeping the shop standards in calibration.

I thought this was an interesting video on the subject.

One thing that got up my nose in the video was the person using a dial caliper to scribe a line on a rotating part in the lathe; calipers are measuring tools, not scribeing tools, and such use is clearly abuse of a precision tool.

One thing that got up my nose in the video was the person using a dial caliper to scribe a line on a rotating part in the lathe; calipers are measuring tools, not scribeing tools, and such use is clearly abuse of a precision tool.

I see that on half of YouTube. I get what you are saying and would never do it to a nice precision instrument. But for a rough measurement with HF level calipers, I can't say I've never done it. :eek:

It seems to me that if all I am doing is scoring a line in Dychem that is not going to damage the caliper. That is what most Videos I have watched do. Calipers are easy to confirm that they still accurate so any wear can be quickly identified.

Me too. One of my calipers was redundant and unreliable for precision so it became a scribing tool.
But no I would not need to or want to treat my good calipers like that.

I do it too, even with my good ones. That said, I manage to break my calipers way before the tip wears down from the occasional layout.

Back