How Did You Handle Getting Your Lathe Home?

I MISS having an engine hoist around. if i had more room i would build another.

Fortunately it disassembles down to reasonable pcs. but yea it does take up space most of its life.

Get the freight company to load it on your trailer. Then rent the little skid steer from Home depot.

Note: the ratings for skid steers and front end loaders vary from tractor to tractor, some very small others very-very large.
Balance is a huge issue. Don't tip your tractor!
Be sure that the machine you intend to use is suitable for the weight you intend to lift.
Lift height also varies. Watch your overhead clearance.

Daryl
MN

Or rent a drop deck trailer (sunbelt rental $75) and have them load it at the freight terminal. You can take the lathe off the trailer with a pallet jack.

I am fortunate in that I own my own trucks, trailers, and heavy equipment for load handling, so handling something like this is not an issue for me.

If I were in your shoes, I would arrange for the lathe to be shipped to your local freight terminal and pick it up there. Inspect the crate closely for damage before signing the acceptance form, and note any damage observed on the crate on the forms. I would use a truck and a small trailer (the smaller the better so that you can have positive tongue weight yet still fit the lathe under an engine hoist).

Most trailers will handle a 1,500 lb load, so your issue will be in manipulating the load once you have it home. As others have mentioned the lathe is top heavy; when I brought my recent 12 x 36" lathe home I used a pair of 3" nylon web straps to pick it up by the bed (picked up by hooking the straps to some skid steer forks). Handling the lathe suspended from the straps is safer than trying to pick it up from the bottom (won't tip over on the straps).

An engine hoist is an option (and you can rent them), but they can be a bit "tippy" too and the small wheels don't roll well across a rough surface. It's better to back the trailer with the lathe into your shop, open up the carton, and use the engine hoist to lift it straight up. Then pull the trailer out and lower the lathe until it is almost touching the floor before you attempt to roll it around on the hoist.

Chssesking's post with pix shows an excellent way for an individual to handle this.

Where there's a will there's a way. A few years ago I bought a 17 x 80 Summit. Had it shipped up from the Oklahoma city, interesting side note, they would not release it from the warehouse unless it was a flat deck trailer where it could be chained down. Had no way to unload it at home so drove to the trucking company's yard and hauled it home myself. Could have got a large loader that would pick it up but it was 12 feet long and my shop door is 10. On the way home it hit me, excavate the driveway to make a loading dock. So I dug out the drive where the trailer axles would be and backed into the hole. Jacked the pallet the lathe was on up and put rollers under it. Three of us moved 6500 pounds around on the 5 inch rollers and got it positioned.
IMG_1838.jpg

Since then I've installed a car hoist. A beam across the arms has unloaded quite a few heavy objects.

IMG_1053.jpg

Sometimes you just have to think outside the box.

Greg

When I brought my lathe home, it was strapped to a pallet with steel banding. Borrowed a Bobcat skidsteer loader with pallet forks and a trailer from a good friend. When I got to where I was picking up the lathe, I unloaded the Bobcat, picked up the lathe with the forks, then drove the Bobcat back up onto the trailer. Chained down the Bobcat and the lathe separately. When I got home I simple reversed the process.

My mill and power hacksaw were both a different story, however. They each came from farther away, and were loaded into the back of my pickup with a forklift in both cases. Both were on pallets, so I could have gone and got the Bobcat again, but I hate to wear out my welcome. Instead, I disassembled both machines and took them off of the truck in pieces that were manageable all by myself. Having those machines partially disassembled made it much easier to clean them up, as they both needed it!

This is my regular machinery hauler, it's only 4' wide between the wheel wells and 14' long. Rated for 11k pounds. IIRC it's 14" from the ground to the top of the deck. Too bad it's not a tilt bed. Sides are too tall for an engine hoist, would be perfect for a gantry. I used a tow truck with a boom and some nylon straps to get the mill off and into the shop.

BPlow1.jpg

BPlow3.jpg

My Logan 820 on my not so great trailer. I actually had a few more straps on it that had already been removed. I unloaded it with the bucket on my Kubota.

DSC_4184.JPG DSC_4183.JPG

Back