• June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

How Did You Handle Getting Your Lathe Home?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Z2V

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
She did well, definitely a keeper! Your a lucky man!
Looks like a well planned move,

ukkarl

Swarf
Registered Member
Had my lathe delivered to my shop doorway a few weeks ago, I have a fork lift so unloading off the truck was easy. Dropped both the pallets it was shipped on down onto my welding table which has a 1" plate top and is on heavy duty solid castors

Stripped it down, cleaned it up, oiled it, contacted Grizzly for the missing tools and damaged control panel plate, then I strapped it up and used my trusty Harbor Freight cherry picker to take it into my shops 'clean room' and lift it onto the bench.

Dear old wifey steered while I pushed/pulled, then she delicately lowered it onto straight onto the mounting bolts. Pretty good control of the lowering valve on the cherry picker too, a slow decent that was barely perceivable

Now to level it and start making chips!

RandyM

Staff member
I know not everyone has an automotive lift and dump trailer, but this is how I got my Logan home and on the floor.

Logan Lathe - Delivery - 2.JPG

Logan Lathe - Delivery - 3.JPG

I then just rolled it into place and used an engine crane to lift each end separately to get off the dollies.

hman

Active User
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Randy, you definitely used the appropriate tools. If my lathe had been any bigger, I seriously doubt the pickumup and the 1-ton engine hoist I had would have done the job.

RandyM

Staff member
Randy, you definitely used the appropriate tools. If my lathe had been any bigger, I seriously doubt the pickumup and the 1-ton engine hoist I had would have done the job.
Ah but, John, you had help. :grin: Yeah, I sometimes take my equipment to the limit as well. In this case I was well with in the safety limits. It is good see you got it all home safe and sound.

[6]
[5] [7]