How Did You Handle Getting Your Lathe Home?

I had a lathe delivered to the freight terminal. I went down and got it with a rented truck with a lift gate, and then I humped it into the shop with a palette jack and a helper. Pain in the butt.

When I got my mill, I had it delivered to a local rigger. They brought it to me on a their truck, towing a fork lift. Set it right on the floor inside the garage door, then moved it right where I wanted it. I stood there and watched.

Cost not much more, and one heck of a lot simpler.

Work smarter, not harder!

Get yourself a friend with a trailer....they come in handy once in awhile :)

Uglydog said "It's an awful feeling watching her roll and knowing you can't catch #1500.

Almost happened to me, caught it just before it toppled too far. Being an old codger I decided that hauling that thing out of the truck, across the back lawn, down a flight of narrow stairs into my basement, around two corners into the shop was going to be just a tad more trouble than I anticipated. Being that most of my very helpful friends were old codgers too, I caved, and ended up calling a local moving company who performed admirably. Cost an extra 100, but well worth the price, a lot cheaper than a trip to the hospital or a munched machine.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

When Grizzly ships it they will email the info of the shipper. The shipping company will call with a delivery and set up day and approximant time. Mine was ups freight witch had a lift gate on a semi. They loaded it into the back of my pickup.

I like the idea Mike suggested of shipping to a local rigger and paying them to deliver and place in your garage or wherever. Won't be inexpensive. Next best option is deliver to the nearest freight terminal and go pick it up with your trailer. They will set it on the trailer for you. Once you get home you can take your time and figure the best method of unloading. You could always take it apart pc by pc into manageable chunks and re-assemble.
I picked up my 11x30 lathe from freight terminal and unloaded using an 2T engine hoist. I only lifted it high enough to be able to pull the trailer out from under and quickly lower it to a waiting dolly. Lathe was about 1,000# yours might be more. The threat of the whole crane tipping forward was obvious. I ended up blocking under the legs and added several hundred pounds of ballast to the back of it. Not pretty or advisable but it held for the 30 seconds it was hanging as the trailer pulled out.

Back