How Did You Level Your BP? What Pad Did you use?

I use shim stock to level my BP clone. Toe jack comes in real handy, if you don't have one they are pretty easy to build, videos on youtube.

Very good information Mr. Projectnut. Thank you sir. I could have gone down the wrong road. I wonder if Randy ever drilled/tapped his BP?
I think I will just shim with an adequate material after I accomplish how to level it.

Why yes I did. Please see post 20 in the link in post 2 of this thread.

By the way I didn't have to drill the holes, just tap them. This is so much easier than trying to shim.

I suggested the a;aluminum pads as a skills development/challenge... Making the first 3 isn't hard, but getting the fourth one just right takes some fiddling! when Ii move my|BP into its final resting spot, I am weighing tapping the holes (which is easier)with making aluminum pads (which is fun)

Why yes I did. Please see post 20 in the link in post 2 of this thread.

By the way I didn't have to drill the holes, just tap them. This is so much easier than trying to shim.

Hey Randy, is your casting down by the 4 holes solid or hollow? I wouldn't want to cause a fracture. pretty cool you didn't have to drill. As I recall they were 3/4 holes?

Hey Randy, is your casting down by the 4 holes solid or hollow? I wouldn't want to cause a fracture. pretty cool you didn't have to drill. As I recall they were 3/4 holes?

I am not quite sure what you mean "solid of hollow". But, the hole itself is fairly deep, not the whole depth of the base. It has been so long now that I'd have to check the hole and tap sizes. My machine is a 1958 model.

Well, this came out of the thread I linked to in post 2.

Thanks Tony, I hear your concerns. I have the machine tore down right now and thought now would be a good time to do it. And really the way the base is cast I only have to tap about 1-1/2 inches in the top part of the base. The rest is relieved. Thanks for the heads up. Oh, I was thinking the base casting should be of some quality as the knee ways are machined into it. ;)

Well Guys, I did it. I tapped the base with 3/4-10, installed threaded rod. I topped it off with an polished stainless steel acorn nut. And roll pinned it together. I used a jam nut to lock them all in place. I may add a foof at the bottom later. Don't mind the picture, it is not as crooked as it looks.

Quote from Projectnut >>> "Before you get too carried away take a look at the construction of the base. The older machines have a hollow base with 4 unthreaded holes for securing the base to the floor. Bridgeport recommends leveling on this style machine be accomplished by shims placed between the base and the floor near each of the anchor bolt holes. ""

That's why I asked about hollow or solid.
Did I misunderstand something?
After reading the post about a potentially unstable support area, that's my question sir.
I can't imagine these beasts being fragile but the engineers at Bridgeport went out of their way to have a solid base with a large footprint.
The idea for me was to identify the best way to level and stabilize my BP.
Randy, your method seems great.

Yes, my base is not solid and has a cavity under it. I did it this way because I didn't what extra things to trip over sticking out beyond the base. I also couldn't just put all-thread through the hole with a washer on the bottom because the bottom side of the casting doesn't allow for it and the bottom nut would be impossible to get at for adjustment. I also didn't want the machine any higher than it already is. My base only sits a half inch to an inch off the floor and the threaded rod sits on pads.

I think that the BP engineers where intending these things to be bolted to the floor, mine is not. That is the great thing about being a fly by night mechanic and a hobby machinist, I don't have to conform to anything or anyone else. Just an additional note, I am not the only one that has done this, and as far as I know, now of us are having any problems.

Good luck with what ever you decide. I know it will work out just fine for you. :encourage:

My BP was placed onto a custom pallet I built at the point of purchase. Lowered onto it with a crane and bolted down. Loaded into my trailer and has remained there since moving it into the shop. Level? Good enough to my eye, things don't roll off etc. Head and vise is trammed in and checked regularly. That is what counts. As stated before, much easier to move around when needed with a pallet jack to reconfigure the shop, etc.
Holds dimensions easily. The limiting factor is the nut turning the dials(i.e. Me!)

Back