How do I connect a propane torch to a 20 lb lpg bottle with a large quick connect fitting

TQA222

Registered
Registered
First of all I live on a sailboat in the Eastern Caribbean. I have 2 x 20 lb bottles with large fittings which I believe are called QC of QCC fittings. [ 1-5/16" ACME maybe ] Anyway the hose that connects the bottle to the regulator has a large plastic nut which is done up hand tight. I need a propane torch to let me silver solder a piece of 3/8th stainless into a 2 inch chunk of brass. I will use low melting point silver solder. At some time in the future I may make a small copper boiler.

I thought I would buy this torch that comes with 3 nozzles. https://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-with-three-burners-91899.html I believe it is connect directly to the bottle without a regulator.

I can see that it has a different fitting to connect to my 20 lb bottle. so I need an adapter [ I think ? ] I looked up adapters with Mr Google and was deluged with alternatives..

Anybody know what I need. Bear in mind it is a long way back to Harbor Freight or Home Depot from the Tobago Cays.

BTW I will sneak into the galley and use the big burner on the stove for some extra heat if needs be.

That is designed to hook up to the small hand held bottles. An adapter like this will get you going.

s-l500ssddd.jpg

Look at the left end, that is what you want. They come with the other side having the internal threads, or the external; with the big plastic hand knob. or even with a small hose between the two.

I got that image from here, but only because it was the first I found with a good pic of the end you need.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Propane-Cy...=item286a20a520:g:rVQAAOSwD-dbvBLR:rk:20:pf:0

I did not see any looking at harbor freight, but they should be easy to find at sporting goods stores, or even maybe Wall mart.

You could also use the small cylinders, and get a similar looking device to refill them from your big tanks.

You could also use the small Mapp Gas tanks. The mapping gas will give you more heat as well.

You could also use the small Mapp Gas tanks. The mapping gas will give you more heat as well.

I really want to avoid any extra tanks as my current 2 x 20lb tanks completely fill the only locker I have that vents overboard. Storing bottles of heavier than air flammable gas in places that would leak into the bilges is living dangerously.

This is why I want to connect directly to a 20 lb tank that has the big quick connect fitting it is a big square thread ACME I believe.

lpg quick connect.jpglpg quick connect.jpg
this is the sort of thing but I don't know if the brass bit fits the hose end on the Harbor Freight torch. There seems to be lots of different threads sizes and types available/

The one I am showing above is a Mr Heater fitting.

Last edited:
And also purchase an extra dozen of the o-rings. They give out at the least opportune time.

I think the first step is identify what is on the bottles the just buy or assemble something to adapt. Most of the South Pacific uses POL or BSP. Perhaps this article will be of help.

Attachments

• CaravansPlus_ Gas Threads Explained I_ - https___www.caravansplus.com.au_g.pdf
    780.9 KB · Views: 3
They make hoses to do same.

We have a couple from estate sales.

They are common items

One end fits tank and other end fits universal item.

Camping supply type of thing.

Allows better use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Hi, the connector shown by TQA222 is the one. It is a Type 1 as shown in the attached .pdf. We have then on all LPG bottles here and the accept both the 1 5/16" ACME or a POL fitting. Common as and any camping shop, hardware shop or big box will have them. I realise that you can't just stroll down the road to one of theses but start at the bottle then find what thread is on the torch and finding suitable fitting hopefully wont be to hard. The hose has to be a properly rated one though so see who does gas around where you are.

Attachments

• propane-fitting-threads.pdf
    131.2 KB · Views: 3
Back