How do I cut o-ring grooves

This thread has (re)taught me how expensive being a carbide shop is! $125 for an insert that I'll probably overfeed and destroy the first time I use it, then only use for 1 hole is crazy. I'll stick to grinding and burning HSS thank you very much!

I should have been more clear. The boring bar and clamping hardware would probably be $100. The inserts are around $15 each. Really nice quality tools. I've used their grooving line since changing inserts repeats the tip position and length within a tenth or two. Very impressive.

I purchased these tools for a paid CNC job where not needing to worry about offsets or grinding tools in the middle off the job was valuable to me.

If your assembly creates an issue with the o-ring staying in place consider a 1/2 dovetail groove

I ended up cutting a square groove the same dimension as the factory groove, 2mm wide x 1mm deep. The guy sold out in one day and sent me 20 more to turn today. If he only knew how inexperienced I am he'd pay a real machinist to do this. LOL. He is a friend so I thought I'd help him supplement his SS check. Beside, it's fun and I need all the experience I can get.

I've got a drawer full of various HSS tools both ground by me and inherited. There are so many different sizes of O-ring grooves that more often than not I have to grind one because none of the half dozen or so groove cutters I've already ground are the right size. I can't imagine buying a new carbide tool every time every time I needed to set an O-ring. Even if I didn't mind spending the money (which I do) the wait for shipping in the middle of a project would annoy the crap out of me. (and I can't find toilet paper)
I have often used a narrow tool to cut a wider groove. Easy to use a .100 wide tool to cut a .200 wide groove.
Jim Sehr

Back