How do I cut...

MattM

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
twenty rounds of 3/4" 1018 to 4.5" +/- .003? Ends must be faced and nicely finished (no saw marks). This is a "production" job so time is of the essence. I have a power bandsaw, lathes, mill, etc. No CNC.

If possible a stop for the correct length and a slitting saw on your mill may do it. My experience with rebar is that it heats quickly and is not the most fun to machine. Are you making 20 pieces 4.5" long or cutting 20 bars (20 ft?} into 4.5" long pieces?
Have a good day
Ray

Mr. Rock mentioned rebar? There are hard spots in there that eat tooling. I mainly cut to + length on saw and mill the ends. Pretty fast this way. Most lathes don't have a thru hole stop.

Mr. Rock mentioned rebar? There are hard spots in there that eat tooling. I mainly cut to + length on saw and mill the ends. Pretty fast this way. Most lathes don't have a thru hole stop.

Thru hole stop? That's sounds like an idea, how to do it?

I would do differently. 1018 is gummy. The tit in the center of the face is hard to control. Surface finish is critical. Length is critical. And time is critical. For these reasons I would not use a lathe. I would ruff cut on a power band saw. Then surface grind the ends using a “V” block to hold the part. Both finish and length would be VERY easy to control. I do it all the time. And if you set-up like I said, it’s also fast. Good Luck…Dave

Thanks, I have a surface grinder. How would I control length?

Back