How do I cut...

You really should compute your over head, costs, depreciation, etc etc etc. But to keep the fun in the hobby just make it $50 an hour plus material. Cash if possible. Enjoy your eggs......bob

If I added in all those costs it would be more like $100.00 an hour. I'm only charging $30.00 an hour. I know this is low but I'm an amateur amateur machinist. If I had to do this for beans and bacon The Wife and I would be living under a freeway venturing out with cardboard signs.

Cash is King.

I put this small ad on CL:

"I have a small machine shop consisting of: a Monarch 10EE lathe, a Clausing 13x36 lathe, a full size mill, a shaper, a surface grinder and the usual other tools and machines.

Please call or email if I may be of assistance with your small machining projects. No TexT. Trades considered for work performed. Prices are low because this is mostly a hobby for me. You will be told up front whether or not I can handle your project. No charge for consulting or estimates."

Fun. So far I have had several very interesting and (to me) challenging jobs and more coming. I've met some interesting people and made some friends. Like I said, "Fun".

Don't sell yourself short and don't under charge. This is a race to the top not the bottom. Get yourself over to the Practical Machinest Forum too. Lots of good advice from guys in the business there. Caution, they can be a snarly bunch but they know stuff I don't know even exists. Good luck and I'm guessing you won't end up under a bridge..............Bob

I'm not interested in starting another business. Been there done that many times. Now it is about increasing my skills and meeting interesting people.

Any money that trickles in will be used to buy more guns and other tools.

This forum has been a great help. I very much appreciate it.

twenty rounds of 3/4" 1018 to 4.5" +/- .003? Ends must be faced and nicely finished (no saw marks). This is a "production" job so time is of the essence. I have a power bandsaw, lathes, mill, etc. No CNC.
As mentioned--I would saw slightly longer and then finish in lathe.
If these are 4.5" long, I would place in chuck with a parallel between face of chuck and stock. LIGHTLY tap stock against parallel and machine.
Use a tool with small radius that is honed.
If surface is not satisfactory, leave a few thousands and grind as suggested.

As mentioned--I would saw slightly longer and then finish in lathe.
If these are 4.5" long, I would place in chuck with a parallel between face of chuck and stock. LIGHTLY tap stock against parallel and machine.
Use a tool with small radius that is honed.
If surface is not satisfactory, leave a few thousands and grind as suggested.

That's pretty much what I did. No problem and it wasn't necessary to grind. Customer is happy, charged him two bucks apiece. He provided the stock.

I've used a cold saw before, and held parts to very close tolerances and not a bad finish. I wish I had one.

Why not just part them in your lathe to size. Slight leading edge on your cutoff blade with some rake. You should be able to get a good finish on the pc. Cut. Face the new pc. Set up for length and part. Chamfer with file before parting is complete. Sometime i ll hand feed and then move over a few thou before complete then run cross feed for finish. Take up your backlash in your compound before you start the cut. Lock carriage , hand feed , retract parting tool and move over a few though, now part with crossfeed power feed. I Usually stop power feed before cut is complete then hand feed the part off.

Last edited:
Should have stated you may need to make a support bushing. Delrin if avaliable. Bore hole to size and turn down the other end and place in drill chuck. Could make a stop in the bushing if more parts down the rd. Flying today, forgot to mention this before plane took off.

Back