[How do I?] How do I get this live center apart?

Barncat

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
There was a set screw at the tail end, removed it. There was a retaining c clip on the front, removed that. It would appear I would just use a drift from the tail end and knock the center and bearings out. I tried this and nothing is moving. I didn't hit it really hard, but did put some muscle into it. What am I missing? There are two holes in the back. Do I need to use those? The ball oiler on the side was damaged and it has some grit in the bearings I would like to clean out.IMG_20181205_071448972.jpgIMG_20181205_071431529.jpg

Shot in the dark here. The two holes look like spanner wrench holes. Is the body threaded together there?

I don't think so, it seemed like one piece. I will recheck it though and make sure.

I have that exact same live center, and I have had it apart. But I cannot remember now how I did it. I do remember that it did not come apart easily. I think the only way it can come apart is from pushing from the end hole where the screw was. Perhaps it needs to be lightly pressed out , not just tapped. That makes sense to me, and sounds familiar. The center itself is just press fit into the bearings, and the O.D. of the bearings is where it needs to come apart. If I remember correctly... Please let me know how you get it apart. I put mine back together with the center still needing grinding, but the center is recessed so far that it will be difficult to grind in place, not to mention the grit near the bearings. I really think I need to take it apart again and grind the center separately.

The setscrew at the end of the taper is likely an adjustment for where the tailstock pushes the center off the Morse taper. Look down into the hole. If it's blind, that will verify that it has nothing to do with disassembling the center.

The hole for the set screw goes all the way through to the back of the bearings or center. Too small a diameter to actually see in it, but a small screw driver or drift goes in a few inches.

The hole for the set screw goes all the way through to the back of the bearings or center. Too small a diameter to actually see in it, but a small screw driver or drift goes in a few inches.
Being a nice guy (and needing to take mine apart again to grind the center :)), I took a piece of hardened 1/4" rod 4 1/2" long and tapped the parts out the front of the housing. It took very little effort to do so. If that did not do it, I would have pressed it out. Behind the ball bearing you can see from the front, there is a tapered roller bearing behind it. Both are pressed onto the center, and the entire assembly comes out in one piece. Let me know if you need more help or pictures. Warning, the 1/4" rod was a snug sliding fit in the long hole. Don't do anything that will bend the rod or mushroom the end or you will never get it out. Bevel the end of the rod that will be contacting the back of the center so that if it mushrooms SLIGHTLY, you will still be able to get the rod back out.

I first tried putting the center shank in a 7/8" R8 collet on my mill, tightened it down, and tried to pull it out that way. The collet would not grip tight enough, and the center would slip out of the collet.

The hole for the set screw
Not really a set screw, it serves two purposes, one, keeping crud out of the bearings, and two, adjusting where the tailstock ejects the assembly from the Morse taper.

Thanks Bob, you are a nice guy.

Back