How do I grind a groove in a shaft for external retaining ring?

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
What is the best way to grind a shaft to receive an external retaining ring ? the ring's size is 7/32",thickness is .025" and the shaft is 1/4" O1 steel drill rod,this is the first time I'm preparing a rod for a snap ring,I have seen on youtube someone using a Dremel (with a grinding disc )doing the job fairly well but my lathe is not set up to hold a dremel.
I have a parting tool I could grind to cut a .025" groove, how does that sound?

Last edited:
I would use a parting tool, but I will say I haven't done much grooving. It worked well for O-rings though. I suspect a lathe with a parting tool is going to do a much better job than a Dremel cutting disc.

Yes I think I would grind a parting tool. Or you could just grind the end of a hss blank. Probably would want to use at least a 3/8 thick one.
I have both. Really like my ground narrow parting blades though.

a parting tool. Or you could just grind the end of a hss blank
That's not a bad idea, I have a few broken HSS end mills. I could fit the shaft in a boring bar holder and grind the tip for a .025" groove, thanks for the tip.

This is where hss blanks come into play. Going yourself the width and length you need on a blank. Mount in holder and go at it. You’ll have your exact width for groove and you can also control depth of cut too. Then mark cutter so you’ll have for next time!

This is where hss blanks come into play
I just found a few HSS blanks in my tool box I never knew I had,I like your idea of marking and grinding the exact DOC and thickness on the blank for the future.

You might try a piece of hacksaw blade ground on the sides to the thickness that you need- I've done this and it works OK
Mark

I would vote for using a parting tool or a grooving tool made from a HSS bit. Grinding the groove will most likely create rounded edges which could allow the retaining ring to be pushed out of the groove. Grinding would also have poorer control of the groove depth. Too deep a groove can allow the retaining ring to seat off side with one edge of the ring out of the groove. If force were applied to that side,it could unseat the retaining ring.

I just found a few HSS blanks in my tool box I never knew I had,I like your idea of marking and grinding the exact DOC and thickness on the blank for the future.
I use c- clips and internal retaining rings all the time for bearings and sleeves. Theirs only four or five sizes needed to get you covered. Internals just use the same concept with a boring bar. I have a bar that a hss tool can be mounted perpendicular to bar or flip and it can be lead in by 45*.
Clip grooves should be sung when you rock the clip depending on applications is where you roll over one edge is no good. A lot harder to fix! Idk if you've ever noticed but on c clips and such there is a flat side and a rounded over side. From the punching manufacturing operation. Well the flat side should always be facing the direction of preload. The rounded side has a "head start " to rolling. You don't want that just a tip if you didn't know;).

Back