• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

We've seen a lot of changes. In March, 4 moderators left to start their own site. They took some of you with them. So now you have split loyalties. You know who you are. They didn't like my way of managing this place, and thought they could do better without me. They didn't. The only thing holding them together is that they hate me. Their site was down until mid July. That is why I wanted to stay involved on here until they could learn to run this place. But they wanted me to leave right away, without the training part.

Anyway, I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I don't want to know about this place.

What about the 4 moderators who were disloyal? I don't care. It isn't my call anymore. I would think that, rather than fumble, they ought to come back and do good work. That's up to them. If they want to return to try to lead more members to their site, I am done caring. I suffered too much aggravation worrying about it. I don't plan to spend any more. What they do impacts on them. I have my own opinions including those of you who followed them there. No longer my problem.

I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

How do I index?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

drizzle

Registered
Registered
I am undercutting some transmission gears for a Honda motorcycle. I have a JET JDM18 mill and a Yuasa dividing head. I have an aluminum billet machined to hold the gear and the billet is held in my dividing head. How do I index each of the 5 dogs to the cutter so when I move the table left and right, I am getting a straight cut across the face of the dog? Current issue i have is, I have my dial test indicator held in a collet in the mill but it spins..... its not square to the table so my reading is off. I spend 10 minutes getting the face perfectly indicated in and when I looked down the side of the machine, the face was not parallel with the axis I was going to use to make my cut. I was off like 15 degrees. I am posting some reference pics from google for right now.

(Wont let me attach links to pictures)

If you notice, the dogs are pie shaped. When the gears are engaged, the dogs only mate about halfway down into the pockets so I can indicate down lower to get the most accurate reading. I just cant figure out how to get my indicator squared off of anything to get an accurate reading.

drizzle

Registered
Registered
http://www.psychobike.com/forums/attachments/suzuki-hayabusa/81841d1325983571-cut-trans-img_2622.jpg
https://ssli.ebayimg.com/images/g/NHgAAOSw-0xYNHPc/s-l1600.jpg
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/attachments/shifter1stgear-jpg.1537401/
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/Black_Bean/IMG_0338.jpg
https://www.orientexpress.com/images/Product/medium/20447.jpg

for those that dont know, when you shift a transmission with no clutch, it rounds off the corners of the dogs and creates a wedge shape which pushes the gears part under power. To repair this you resurface them to 90 degrees or undercut/back cut them with a dovetail cutter so that they stay locked in and the power load will suck them together, as seen here....
http://kawtriple.com/mraxl/trans_manual/undercut.jpg

Last edited:

Mitch Alsup

Registered
Registered
I am undercutting some transmission gears for a Honda motorcycle. I have a JET JDM18 mill and a Yuasa dividing head. I have an aluminum billet machined to hold the gear and the billet is held in my dividing head. How do I index each of the 5 dogs to the cutter so when I move the table left and right, I am getting a straight cut across the face of the dog?
Chuck (or collet) a DI or DTI in the spindle.
Hold gear to be machined in vise or fixture.
Adjust vise/fixture until you can traverse the gear on the table with the DI/DTI not showing any error during the traverse.

That is, the face of the gear gets trammed just like the vise gets trammed.

drizzle

Registered
Registered
I did that... I put the DTI in the collet BUT IT SPINS, HOW DO I SQUARE IT TO THE TABLE, If the indicator is on any sort of angle that is not 90 or 180 to the table, you get false readings. HOW DO I SQUARE IT?

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
As long as the indicator is more or less aligned to the axis you should be able to dial in the part to the desired travel axis. I normally put the head in back gear to keep the spindle from rotating. Normally there shouldn't be enough force on the indicator to even overcome the friction of the spindle. I guess it depends on what type of indicator you're using and how far the stylus is off of the spindle centerline. Normally I use a DTI for setups like this.

drizzle

Registered
Registered
I am using a DTI, there is resistance on the head but its belt drive so I cant keep change speeds, There is 2 bolts and an idler pulley that needs to be loosened with sockets/wrenches to change the belts. PITA. so doing the best I can do square it and leave it will work? I guess I can try that.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
Can you post a picture of your setup? Using a DTI can not put enough force on the spindle to rotate it in any normal configuration, everything should be pretty close to the spindle centerline. I'm a little confused here. o_O

drizzle

Registered
Registered
Sorry for the messy work place, its been work in progress. Just got mill wired up a week ago.

Attachments

drizzle

Registered
Registered
also, I have no intentions of figuring out the math on the dividing head for this, I just want to indicate each face of the dog and cut it. I plan to use marker or dye on the faces and mesh with the corresponding gear to check for high spots and I will fine tune from there. I dont think that aspect of this has to be perfect, but cutting them even and retaining the pie shape of each dog is more critical. open to opinions.

drizzle

Registered
Registered
also, I used the marker as a referrence. its pretty much parallel with the table to show what I am trying to index/indicate in. i change the position of the gear in each picture.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
Messy? You should see my shop :)

Looks like your setup is OK. I would have the stylus more vertical, but what you show should work, I can't imagine being able to put enough torque on the spindle to rotate it with that setup.

So the process is to make contact with the part, move the x axis to check the alignment, rotate the rotary table a bit, check again, rinse-repeat until the work surface is aligned with the x axis (zero movement on the DTI dial)

drizzle

Registered
Registered
so once I indicate 1 face, 72 degrees will line me up perfect and I wont have to indicate the other faces or should I still check? So, I should set the head to 0 first obviously......

P. Waller

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Yes. 5 divisions of a circle, 360/5 = 72
However do not expect OEM parts to be as accurate as you think they are or should be, it is likely that the OEM finished surfaces are far harder then you anticipate as well.

drizzle

Registered
Registered
I know its probably not super accurate but I want to stay close. Yes, its a hardened gear and looks like it was probably shot peened aswell. I have the appropriate cutter for it. carbide with ATLIN coating? and going to take light passes at 2700-3000RPM as people have suggested. Its a small bit... 1/4"? with 3/8" shank.

P. Waller

Good luck with the machine pictured using carbide tooling.
If you do not mind my asking what does a new OEM gear cost?

Mitch Alsup

Registered
Registered
Instead of indicating on the wall of the gear, indicate on the teeth--these are the only real reference surfaces you have.

Face of a tooth--vertically.

drizzle

Registered
Registered
Instead of indicating on the wall of the gear, indicate on the teeth--these are the only real reference surfaces you have.

Face of a tooth--vertically.
what is that going to do when i am making a horizontal cut? I am cutting those 5 dogs in the center of the gear, they are not lined up with any one tooth.

drizzle

Registered
Registered
Good luck with the machine pictured using carbide tooling.
If you do not mind my asking what does a new OEM gear cost?
i have talked to alot of machinist that have used these mills, they are not bad...... obviously not making satellite parts with it but for what im doing it should be fine. new gear is about $70...... but they are discontinued and that still doesnt prevent future issues. To have this done by a shop that does this as a standard service is about $500. If I fail at it, oh well... atleast I tried.

drizzle

Registered
Registered
I reindicated the gear. looks good but cant cut because my 3/8 collet appears to be stripped and I cant re-tap it. tried but no way to hold the collet without damaging it and its so tight that I may end up busting a tap in it. will order a new one. any suggestions on where to get one? Im always hesitant of ebay china crap. maybe I get lucky and find a Bridgeport collet.

P. Waller

Have at it then.
There is a reason that others charge $500.00 to modify a $70.00 part, you will soon find it I suspect.

drizzle

Registered
Registered
looking on MSC, how do I choose a collet? 0.0011 TIR or 0.0007 TIR? I need a 3/8 R8 with 7/16-20 thread.

P. Waller

I reindicated the gear. looks good but cant cut because my 3/8 collet appears to be stripped and I cant re-tap it. tried but no way to hold the collet without damaging it and its so tight that I may end up busting a tap in it. will order a new one. any suggestions on where to get one? Im always hesitant of ebay china crap. maybe I get lucky and find a Bridgeport collet.
If you are going to use carbide end mills in an R8 spindle machine buy the most concentric collets that you are willing to pay for, Lyndex is an excellent mid priced tool.

P. Waller

looking on MSC, how do I choose a collet? 0.0011 TIR or 0.0007 TIR? I need a 3/8 R8 with 7/16-20 thread.
All R8 collets have the same thread.
The TIR only applies to the collet itself in a test fixture during manufacturing, this does not mean it will hold these numbers when you put it in your machine of unknown run out.

P. Waller

Stop with the cheap.

You want to do a machining operation.
Either this is a commercial venture and you want to do it for less than others.
Or it is a personal project where cost is secondary.

Either way purchase what is required and have at it win or lose.

drizzle

Registered
Registered
I'm cheap when it comes to opening my wallet, if I can find a deal, that allows me to invest MORE into tooling, fixtures...etc yada yada.... I'm not cheap with quality. I waited and found myself the Yuasa dividing head because I didnt want to spent $2000 on a new one and wasnt going to buy the ebay special for $200. It adds up. just trying to be thrifty.

[6]
[5] [7]