How do I index?

Have at it then.
There is a reason that others charge $500.00 to modify a $70.00 part, you will soon find it I suspect.

looking on MSC, how do I choose a collet? 0.0011 TIR or 0.0007 TIR? I need a 3/8 R8 with 7/16-20 thread.

I reindicated the gear. looks good but cant cut because my 3/8 collet appears to be stripped and I cant re-tap it. tried but no way to hold the collet without damaging it and its so tight that I may end up busting a tap in it. will order a new one. any suggestions on where to get one? Im always hesitant of ebay china crap. maybe I get lucky and find a Bridgeport collet.
If you are going to use carbide end mills in an R8 spindle machine buy the most concentric collets that you are willing to pay for, Lyndex is an excellent mid priced tool.

Have at it then.
There is a reason that others charge $500.00 to modify a $70.00 part, you will soon find it I suspect.
they are doing more than 1 gear for that price. Its like $110 for 1 gear.

If you are going to use carbide end mills in an R8 spindle machine buy the most concentric collets that you are willing to pay for, Lyndex is an excellent mid priced tool.
post a link where to get....

looking on MSC, how do I choose a collet? 0.0011 TIR or 0.0007 TIR? I need a 3/8 R8 with 7/16-20 thread.
All R8 collets have the same thread.
The TIR only applies to the collet itself in a test fixture during manufacturing, this does not mean it will hold these numbers when you put it in your machine of unknown run out.

Stop with the cheap.

You want to do a machining operation.
Either this is a commercial venture and you want to do it for less than others.
Or it is a personal project where cost is secondary.

Either way purchase what is required and have at it win or lose.

I'm cheap when it comes to opening my wallet, if I can find a deal, that allows me to invest MORE into tooling, fixtures...etc yada yada.... I'm not cheap with quality. I waited and found myself the Yuasa dividing head because I didnt want to spent $2000 on a new one and wasnt going to buy the ebay special for $200. It adds up. just trying to be thrifty.

Back