How do I keep the chuck from sticking to the spindle next time?

I don't know your lathe, but if you have a threaded spindle which I think it sounds like.
keep your threads clean.
Tighten your chuck as much as you can. Why: a chuck that spins on , on it's own hammers itself on, so putting it on tight prevents it from hammering itself. If you are slightly loose, you run the risk.
Thanks! Yes, it's a threaded spindle. My guess is that a little hammering during use, and some dried out lubricant (noticed during cleaning after the chuck was removed) had it tightly stuck.

The tip that helped me the most is that a good thread fit is easy until the register is hit. Not tight to begin with and harder and harder to screw on until one just gives up before completely contacting the register. This can happen when buying used off EBay. Just one dig in, and the chuck will screw in that extra amount really tightly, since it has all the momentum of the spinning spindle to get it moving. Make sure the thread fit is loose then solid. Then, apply oil. Almost any kind of oil is great. Every few months, unscrew the chuck, clean-up, and add another drop of oil. Don't slam the chuck into the cross slide when using power feed. This kind of crash can tighten up the spindle too much.

I have used the silver or copper colored anti sieze on a lot of things, including a light coat on the back edge of threaded chucks on on my
S.Bend 10". Not sure if I'd use it with a 3 phase motor though, reversing quickly might cause a problem. On my Unimat, I use it on the threads;
a very light smear is all that's needed.

Back