How Do I Make This?

lcorley

Registered
Registered
Hey guys --
I need to make this part out of delrin. It adapts a control lever that is designed to fit on 7/8 tube to bolt to a square tube. I can hold the 7/8 round stock in a v-block to drill the holes, then split it to rough thickness with a bandsaw. But then how do I hold it to mill off the flat to finish thickness? I thought maybe tap the holes 1/4-20 and bolt it to a plate I could clamp in the vise. That seems like there must be an easier way.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Leon
adapter.jpg

How about using the a 2" long or pair of smaller v blocks to fully support the piece, clamp one side, mill flat, clamp the other side and mill the other side flat.

Bill

Drill & tap the two holes for 1/4-20 to start with. Then split on the bandsaw. Make a v-block out of wood, aluminum, or angle iron with two 0.25 holes in it. Then bolt the part to that, flat side up. Don't let the bolts stick through more than 1/4 inch. Put it in the vice and do the milling. Once the thickness is correct, then drill out the holes to finish size.

It might not even require a v-block to hold the part to mill the flat. Just the bolts might hold it on a flat surface, in fact, a couple pieces of all-thread screwed into the part with the other end of the bolts captured in the vice would work fine.

Last edited:
I would start with a longer piece of stock, say 3 - 4" , to provide a handle on each end. Use Vee block clamps to hold the work in a pair of Vee blocks. Mill the center 2+" to 1/4" thickness. At this point the work will be very flexible so go slowly. Also, use care in positioning the end mil as the wall of the Vee block will be only .035" from your workpiece. Part off the two end pieces and face to length. Flip with flat side down in a vise, locate the positions of the hole holes and drill and countersink.

What if you drilled the rectangular piece, then bolted it to some square stock and then turned radius on top?

If you don't have a lathe, then a boring head might do the job.

+1 easiest and safest way to do it.

You could make it round, drill the holes, then cut to size with a slitting saw.

I thought about the slitting saw, but my set up isn't all that great. The "screw it to a square and turn it on a lathe" [with a live center on the right end] sounds a lot easier.

I would start with a longer piece of stock, say 3 - 4" , to provide a handle on each end. Use Vee block clamps to hold the work in a pair of Vee blocks. Mill the center 2+" to 1/4" thickness. At this point the work will be very flexible so go slowly. Also, use care in positioning the end mil as the wall of the Vee block will be only .035" from your workpiece. Part off the two end pieces and face to length. Flip with flat side down in a vise, locate the positions of the hole holes and drill and countersink.

My first thought was to start with a longer piece too.

You have not answered the magic question, how many parts?
If 1 just cobble it together and move on or you may spend 3 hours making a single $0.50 part, choose wisely.

Back