How do I properly use a boring bar on the lathe?

If you can, get some nylon rod and practice boring on that. It cuts very nicely with sharp HSS tools.

Ed

Good idea Ed, I'll look around and see what I can find.

Sorry Ron.

Touching off merely means easing up to the moving part or material, just until the cutting edge barely touches the work. Done carefully, you get a position that is at most a few tenths away from the true surface location. Then you can zero out your DRO, or dial indicator, or your machine dial. And you may as well get used to the term "tenths" meaning not tenths of a mile, but tenths of thousandths. It's just a much easier way to express it, and since most machine speak (in Imperial Land) is in inches, it is accepted as that. In Metricville, of course, it doesn't work the same.

No need to be sorry for my ignorance Tony. :p :biggrin: I too live solidly in "Imperial Land" but my education in electronics engineering and physics (some 30 years ago) made me very comfortable with metric as well. I do really appreciate your taking the time to help my further education though.

Thanks again,

-Ron

Get some PVC to practice on as well,
You can get solid rounds up to 8" I think
Cuts like its not even there, great to practice on,
Just watch out for ventilation.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PVC = chlorine gas when removing alot of stock...
IE - it releases chlorine gas when it is cut...
ever notice that funny smell when you cut a pvc pipe with a hacksaw?
And thats doing really small material removal..
GOOD LUCK

Here Is my way , all of the above is correct. Lets say the outside is 2 in and I need a 7/8 hole. So I will chuck up
stock little bigger that 2" Ok then I will drill with a center drill, then get somthing close to 7/8 but not 7/8- got it
ok now bore this I use low speed . Center the cutting tip. center line, if small part like bushing feed by hand,
put the cutting tool in there and just touch the work Ok the compound should be on an angel (the cut will be done
with compound) If you have crossfeed lock all the better if not zero crossfeed to -0- At this stage we dont care if
the stock is crooked all we want is a 7/8 hole which should be reamed. start take small cuts with the compound
remember feeding is done toward the operator. keep measuring small cuts until close to 7/8. I stop there. Now
the hole is a true hair under 7/8 fit the shaft or what ever until it is where you want it.(reamer) Many trial fits. If so
satified now the hard part if you dont have mandrels. Or use two dead centers and use a dog. Then turn the OD
I can to this in 10min but typing this v/s hands on, my problem I have. So a little longer, a little fatter, then when
all is good cut lenght where you want. I really dont get into anything under an inch, cause of a small boring bar,
but take very small cuts- can do. Yesterday 10 bushings with 1.000 Id perfectly. Keep the bar choked up close
to the tool post as possible keep the work in the chuck close as possible. go to hardware get pvc to practice on.
Is this helpful If you were here id show faster than typing this samuel

Thanks guys. Hopefully I will get into the "shop" in the next couple of days and try some of this out.

-Ron

Any suggestions on where to get solid PVC? Someplace like Laird plastics?

Thanks,
Mike

http://www.boedeker.com/ Started by Marvin Boedecker, nice guy. Might still be handling sales calls. I haven't bought anything lately, but used to buy quite a bit of Ryton and PEEK from him.

Oh, and he's in Shiner, TX.

1 drill you a hole in your stock by placing a drill bit in your tail stoc, drill your hole, smaller than what you want your finished hole, now use your boring bar in your tool holder make sure she is square to your work and centered, now run your boring bar into hole this is with the machine off, bring your cutting tool up against the side of hole once it touches bring your bar out of the hole now turn machine on and turn your cross feed backwards a couple 1000ths then proceed to enter the hole you will see it start to cut, if your machine is like most when you turn your dial 1000th it will be cutting 2000th hope this helps:biggrin: mac

Only certain lathes will take .002 if you move the dial .001. LeBlond, Hardinge, Clausing will take .001 from the overall diameter if you move your dial .001. We used to have an old Southbend that if you moved the dial .001, it took .001/side for a total of .002. I don't think there was anyone that didn't scrap a part or two off of that lathe. So you really want to watch.

Only certain lathes will take .002 if you move the dial .001. LeBlond, Hardinge, Clausing will take .001 from the overall diameter if you move your dial .001. We used to have an old Southbend that if you moved the dial .001, it took .001/side for a total of .002. I don't think there was anyone that didn't scrap a part or two off of that lathe. So you really want to watch.

I fell for that one as well a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't thinking and only had to take off .001" moved the dial reading .001" and quickly removed .002" total. Aargh!! :banghead:

-Ron

Back