[How do I?] How do I remove this?

vin421

Registered
Registered
Pictured is an ER11 collet tool holder on a 600w spindle motor with an 8mm shaft. (I think I am using the terms correctly) I want to remove the tool holder. I have removed the set screws and tried everything with the maximum force I feel I can use without damaging the motor. This seems like it should be an easy task but there must be something I don't know as far as how this is mounted.

IMG_20180423_175314.jpg

Try heating it. It should expand. Or try a bearing puller, if it has a thru hole.

What about using an ER collet to hold a short bolt as large as it will hold. Then use a pneumatic impact nut driver to unscrew it or loosen it from the shaft. Maybe squirt some penetrating oil in the set screw holes a few minutes prior to doing this. Not familiar with your problem, good luck anyways.

yes .. as above, probably threaded on. note which way the motor runs, to be sure you're removing in the right rotation. U can put a well fitting wrench on that flat on the fitting, and smack the wrench in the correct direction with a small pall peen hammer. smaller hammer moves faster and shaft has less time to spin, u may break it loose.

yes .. as above, probably threaded on. note which way the motor runs, to be sure you're removing in the right rotation. U can put a well fitting wrench on that flat on the fitting, and smack the wrench in the correct direction with a small pall peen hammer. smaller hammer moves faster and shaft has less time to spin, u may break it loose.

It is made so that you can reverse the wires to the power supply and the motor will reverse direction. I didn't think it was threaded on, but it might be. There is now way to tell, as far as I can see, if it is threaded, and with way the threads are aligned if it actually is threaded.

What about using an ER collet to hold a short bolt as large as it will hold. Then use a pneumatic impact nut driver to unscrew it or loosen it from the shaft. Maybe squirt some penetrating oil in the set screw holes a few minutes prior to doing this. Not familiar with your problem, good luck anyways.

I like that idea. The penetrating oil will help whether threaded or not. I wish I knew if it was threaded and which way.

The ER nut is threaded RH and is designed to tighten when turning. I would be surprised if the chuck is threaded on LH for that reason. Logically it should be a RH thread if there is a thread.

Is it threaded on the shaft perhaps? That would explain a lot...

If it's not threaded and if there's a hole in the end, try making some kind of a gear puller.

Ray

Back