[How do I?] How do I remove this?

The ER nut is threaded RH and is designed to tighten when turning. I would be surprised if the chuck is threaded on LH for that reason. Logically it should be a RH thread if there is a thread.

Yes, but the ER nut is not the piece I am trying to remove. I am trying to remove the piece the ER threads on to.

Is it threaded on the shaft perhaps? That would explain a lot...

If it's not threaded and if there's a hole in the end, try making some kind of a gear puller.

Ray

Yep that's where I am at now. The first one I made gave it up so now I'm building a new one....stronger!

I may just take it to a machine shop.

I like that idea. The penetrating oil will help whether threaded or not. I wish I knew if it was threaded and which way.

Yes, but the ER nut is not the piece I am trying to remove. I am trying to remove the piece the ER threads on to.

What I meant to say is that the same forces apply to the ER chuck mount as do to the ER nut. So if we are trying to determine whether the chuck mount would be threaded RH or LH, my guess is RH, same as the ER nut and same as most (if not all) spindle threads.

It is called a bearing separator. On this side of the pond they start at around 40.00 For a set.

What if you looked up the specs on your motor to see if it identifies the output shaft profile?

PS After looking up some info I expect that you have a straight shaft (not threaded). It might be a shrink type fit if provision is made for when the holder heats up in use, it will not get sloppy on the motor shaft. I would think that you need to use that puller as shown above and heating the chuck body already mentioned would help.

Last edited:
What about making up an approximately ER collet shaped slug with a 8mm threaded hole down the middle. Put it in and tighten the ER collet retaining nut, then just wind in a long 8mm bolt to act like a bearing puller (I'm assuming you can see the end of the motor shaft through the collet holder).

Last edited:
Back