[How do I?] How do I remove this?

Good idea Pete. Maybe the slug should replace the collet instead of held in it, the max of ER11 collets is only .3125'' or thereabouts.

Maybe it's got a screw in the end of the shaft like a drill chuck???
What if you looked up the specs on your motor to see if it identifies the output shaft profile?

PS After looking up some info I expect that you have a straight shaft (not threaded). It might be a shrink type fit if provision is made for when the holder heats up in use, it will not get sloppy on the motor shaft. I would think that you need to use that puller as shown above and heating the chuck body already mentioned would help.
What about making up an approximately ER collet shaped slug with a 8mm threaded hole down the middle. Put it in and tighten the ER collet retaining nut, then just wind in a long 8mm bolt to act like a bearing puller (I'm assuming you can see the end of the motor shaft through the collet holder).

Thanks for all the ideas guys. Some very good ones!

I built a puller. I used a 5/16 bolt (just under 8mm) to push out the 8mm shaft. (Unthreaded, no screw in the end.) I twisted the bolt off and never budged the shaft. My next effort will be rebuilding the puller, cooling the collet holder (if that is the correct name) and shaft with dry ice, then heating the holder with a torch and try the puller.

What would it take to cut this damn thing off? It looks like very hard steel!

The other option is ...buying another motor without the collet holder, they cost less than $50, but that would be admitting defeat.

Good idea Pete. Maybe the slug should replace the collet instead of held in it, the max of ER11 collets is only .3125'' or thereabouts.
What about making up an approximately ER collet shaped slug with a 8mm threaded hole down the middle. Put it in and tighten the ER collet retaining nut, then just wind in a long 8mm bolt to act like a bearing puller (I'm assuming you can see the end of the motor shaft through the collet holder).

Yes I can see the end of the shaft. Good idea, a 5/16 nut will fit in the holder. The collet nut will screw on. Then I can just screw a 5/16 bolt straight down onto the shaft. A hell of a lot easier than rebuilding my puller. Problem is, I already twisted off a 5/16 bolt. Do they make extra hard bolts for certain purposes?

I’ll just throw this in. If you have already broken a bolt if you go back with another try giving it tension then a few shots with a dead blow hammer. Then add a small amount more tension, then another few shots with the hammer. Repeat, repeat

I’ll just throw this in. If you have already broken a bolt if you go back with another try giving it tension then a few shots with a dead blow hammer. Then add a small amount more tension, then another few shots with the hammer. Repeat, repeat

I like it!

Reactions: Z2V
“ Edit” , Hit the head of the bolt

No don't give up
Yes to a new hi grade bolt and nut, 5/16 fine thread
Yes to putting tension on the bolt then hammer till tension drops (not a dead blow, it needs to vibrate lots)
Yes to heating it up while there is tension on the bolt
We will get this sucker
Hooray for our side!

No don't give up
Yes to a new hi grade bolt and nut, 5/16 fine thread
Yes to putting tension on the bolt then hammer till tension drops (not a dead blow, it needs to vibrate lots)
Yes to heating it up while there is tension on the bolt
We will get this sucker
Hooray for our side!

Hell yea we'll get this sucker!

Back