[How do I?] How do I remove this?

Hell yea we'll get this sucker!

Is this a commercially manufactured product or a custom build? It may be that the collet chuck was fixed to the shaft with threadlock. If the permanent stuff, heat will be required. LocTite states 250ºC. In my experience, without heat, it may as well be welded. You will have to pull the chuck while at temperature. If it cools down, the threadlock will reset.

If you suspect a threaded shaft, I would expect that you will have to disassemble the motor to gain access to a surface that you can grip to resist applied torque. The armature body is a likely choice. I would mark the position of the armature on the shaft and the chuck on the shaft and apply some torque. If you see movement, check to make sure it is not the armature rotating. Armatures are often pressed onto the shaft and can break free. Also check carefully for any associated axial movement, a sign of threading.

Set screws and motor shafts have always been a problem in my experience. They tend to dig into the shaft and if there is some slippage, they will create a burr on the shaft and galling the mating part. Mostly with plain shafts but I have seen it on flatted shafts as well.

This makes it very difficult to remove as the offending metal has to be sheared off or displaced before the shaft can be removed. If this is the case, you should be able t get some rotation with applied torque. You would probably best turn in the opposite direction of normal rotation. Once you see some movement rotate back and forth, increasing the arc as it begins to loosen.

Is this a commercially manufactured product or a custom build? It may be that the collet chuck was fixed to the shaft with threadlock. If the permanent stuff, heat will be required. LocTite states 250ºC. In my experience, without heat, it may as well be welded. You will have to pull the chuck while at temperature. If it cools down, the threadlock will reset.

If you suspect a threaded shaft, I would expect that you will have to disassemble the motor to gain access to a surface that you can grip to resist applied torque. The armature body is a likely choice. I would mark the position of the armature on the shaft and the chuck on the shaft and apply some torque. If you see movement, check to make sure it is not the armature rotating. Armatures are often pressed onto the shaft and can break free. Also check carefully for any associated axial movement, a sign of threading.

Set screws and motor shafts have always been a problem in my experience. They tend to dig into the shaft and if there is some slippage, they will create a burr on the shaft and galling the mating part. Mostly with plain shafts but I have seen it on flatted shafts as well.

This makes it very difficult to remove as the offending metal has to be sheared off or displaced before the shaft can be removed. If this is the case, you should be able t get some rotation with applied torque. You would probably best turn in the opposite direction of normal rotation. Once you see some movement rotate back and forth, increasing the arc as it begins to loosen.

It is not threaded. I was told that often the shaft is cooled with dry ice or liquid nitrogen while the collet holder was heated very hot. They are assembled like that. When the two pieces return to room temperature, they are extremely tight. As you say, essentially welded. What about cutting or grinding? The metal looks quite hard though.

It is not threaded. I was told that often the shaft is cooled with dry ice or liquid nitrogen while the collet holder was heated very hot. They are assembled like that. When the two pieces return to room temperature, they are extremely tight. As you say, essentially welded. What about cutting or grinding? The metal looks quite hard though.

If that is the case, your efforts to separate the two may well end up destroying one or both. Which part are you trying to save, chuck or motor?
I don't recall seeing what this assembly is used for or why you wish to separate the two. That may help give some insight as to the path forward.

If heat shrunk, heating will not help as both parts will expand at the same rate.

Grinding will definitely be a possibility if you're willing to sacrifice the chuck. If the motor is to be sacrificed, the best bet would be to cut the shaft and carefully drill out the remaining piece of shaft using an undersized drill. Then peel the remaining shell out. You could also try a punch the but that could just upset the shaft metal making removal more difficult.

If that is the case, your efforts to separate the two may well end up destroying one or both. Which part are you trying to save, chuck or motor?
I don't recall seeing what this assembly is used for or why you wish to separate the two. That may help give some insight as to the path forward.

If heat shrunk, heating will not help as both parts will expand at the same rate.

Grinding will definitely be a possibility if you're willing to sacrifice the chuck. If the motor is to be sacrificed, the best bet would be to cut the shaft and carefully drill out the remaining piece of shaft using an undersized drill. Then peel the remaining shell out. You could also try a punch the but that could just upset the shaft metal making removal more difficult.

I don't mind destroying the chuck. In fact, I would like to destroy the chuck, just to teach it a lesson not to mess with me. I am going to replace it with a 3 jaw chuck. The shaft needs to be preserved in as good a condition as possible but if it gets a little scratched up, oh well.

Do you have a lathe? Can you run a tap into the chuck creating internal threads then get a matching bolt, turn down the end to a pin shaft and
then screw it into the chuck, thereby separating the two pieces?
Mark

I don't mind destroying the chuck. In fact, I would like to destroy the chuck, just to teach it a lesson not to mess with me. I am going to replace it with a 3 jaw chuck. The shaft needs to be preserved in as good a condition as possible but if it gets a little scratched up, oh well.

n that case grind it off. Trying to pull it could end up damaging the motor shaft. I would cut off the shank just past the end of the motor shaft. I would probably use a die grinder for better control. If it truly was a shrink fit, if you can grind away on one side, it should free up enough so you can pull the remainder.

Do you have a lathe? Can you run a tap into the chuck creating internal threads then get a matching bolt, turn down the end to a pin shaft and
then screw it into the chuck, thereby separating the two pieces?
Mark

That's a great idea, and yes I have a lathe, but it is a low power lathe for doing work on pool and snooker cues. I don't think it would thread this metal. Normal, I don't thread under power on pool cues. I always thread by hand......still, a great idea.

n that case grind it off. Trying to pull it could end up damaging the motor shaft. I would cut off the shank just past the end of the motor shaft. I would probably use a die grinder for better control. If it truly was a shrink fit, if you can grind away on one side, it should free up enough so you can pull the remainder.

The object I intend to replace it with is threaded M14x1. Unfortunately ER11 collet holders are threaded 14x0.75. I may just try to crank a M14x1 threader over the collet holder threads and see what happens. If nothing good happens, start grinding.

I meant thread by hand the internal hole of the chuck you want to remove, with a tap. Then, using the lathe, make a threaded tool using a bolt as a starting point.
Mark

I meant thread by hand the internal hole of the chuck you want to remove, with a tap. Then, using the lathe, make a threaded tool using a bolt as a starting point.
Mark

OK, got it. I have some great ideas now from everyone. Thanks!

Back