How do I use an Indicol to indicate a hole?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Indicol question

Do I clamp it to the spindle of a milling machine? Then what?

Any photos would be a great help!

Thanks,

Nelson

Well, I don't own one, so someone else will have to do the photos, but I have used one a time or two. After you clamp it to the spindle nose where it can rotate with the spindle, put a DTI on the dovetail and manipulate the arms to get the indicator just above the hole. Position it near the edge of the hole and turn the spindle by hand so that the indicator point swings in a circle just above the hole. Move the table and adjust the swept diameter until it is close to fitting into the hole. When you think it will fit, lower the quill until the indicator is just inside the hole, then continue turning the spindle and observing the readings. Move the table until you get the same readings all around. If the hole isn't round, you have to settle for the same readings diametrically opposed.

I've got one, but it's a little too late for me to set up and take pics tonight. If no one else posts before tomorrow I'll take some then.

Ok, here are a couple of (poor quality) pictures of a couple of different set-ups. Sorry, but I'm obviously not a photographer and my camera was outdated years ago. :eek:
One with the usual spindle "clamp on" mount - and one with a stud adapter that can be used in a collet or drill chuck.

Tony already described the process above. One thing to keep in mind is that works on outside diameters as well, for centering round stock under the spindle. I also threw in a picture of a co-ax indicator as well for comparison. It works basically the same way but it works while the spindle is under power. You don't run the mill when using a DTI!!! Turn the spindle by hand only.

I prefer to use a vertical DTI whenever possible using an Indicol. It makes it easier to read the dial while rotating the spindle. You can use a horizonal DTI but you will need to stretch your head around to the back of the spindle to read the dial as it goes around - or use a mirror.
When using a co-ax indicator the dial stay stationary while the stylus rotates - making it the easiest to read of all. :)

PC290115.JPG PC290116.JPG PC290117.JPG PC290118.JPG

PC290115.JPG PC290116.JPG PC290117.JPG PC290118.JPG

The tram of a mill is being checked here using an .0005" indicator in an indacol by sweeping table. It is found to be out .002" side to side. This was corrected and rechecked.

102_1117.jpg

102_1117.jpg

102_1117.jpg

Here is a photo of an indicol being used to find the center of a horn bell prior to machining.
You never have to remove the cutter to indicate center on a part.

6601507987_bf254d1cf4_z.jpg

To me, that's the big selling point to the indicol. You don't have to remove the tool every time. Just the ones that are really big, like shell mills or larger inserted cutters. Drill chucks and end mills pose no problem.

Another quick and dirty way to "indicate" a hole is to use an edge finder. Just pick up opposite sides of the hole and use the center function on your digital readout to center it up. It's surprisingly accurate and very quick.

Highpower: I also have one of those axial indicators and they work very well, but I feel guilty every time I use it. It just seems so excessive. ;

Tom

Tom,
I know people who use those axial indicators who don't trust them within 0.002". What is your experience with them?

Tony,

Mine is the original Blake brand and it works great. It's probably the knock-offs that people are complaining about. The market is literally flooded with cheap, low quality imitations of just about every successful U.S. made product. I've been on a serious buy U.S. made product push lately. It's getting downright alarming how much made in China garbage there is on the market these days.

Sorry about the rant. :eek:

Tom

Back