How do I use an Indicol to indicate a hole?

Two thing that should be pointed out.
1 - When using an Interapid indicator, put the stem in the hole on the end of the Indicol clamp where your dovetail is, thats one of the reasons people buy and use Interapids.
2 - Never tram a mill by running the indicator directly on the table, place it up off the table and swing it over a hardened 1-2-3 block or such, move the block around to the 4 corners as needed, this helps take the error out of the tram reading from dings or scraping marks on the table, it basically averages them out.

Can you use an Indicol to tram the head of a mill? Since you don't clamp it into the spindle there can be errors,no?
I just tried an Indicol and got .004" difference.
Then I used a .250" rod that I bent a little for DTI clearance in an R8 collet and got .0002" over ~ the same distance. The only difference was that the table was higher with the Indicol.

Edit: I thought I better try again as I was thinking possibly my Indicol wasn't tight enough. Sure enough it came out perfect. So lesson learned I guess. You really need to bear down on the Indicol screws for a rigid setup.

Last edited:
Another thing to check on older indicators is if the little ball on the end has a flat from wear. They do wear.

Tony,

Mine is the original Blake brand and it works great. It's probably the knock-offs that people are complaining about. The market is literally flooded with cheap, low quality imitations of just about every successful U.S. made product. I've been on a serious buy U.S. made product push lately. It's getting downright alarming how much made in China garbage there is on the market these days.

Sorry about the rant. :eek:

Tom

I still use a length of 1/4 drill rod bent at 90 degrees have for 50or so years and works for me

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I trust my Blake Co-Ax indicator 100% :). Indicol works too but you have to chase the dial:concerned:.

Back