How do we restore this piece?

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Finally getting some time to go through my scores from this past 'sales' season.
(get ready for some spammage, I'm coming across items I'd forgot I'd picked up.)
Take a glance at this mis-treated beauty. As with Charlie Brown and his Christmas tree, I couldn't leave it behind. :grin:
Trying to figure out how to restore.
What should be used to fill the holes? I have Oxy/Acetylene, but not a welder.

R_1116191226a.jpgR_1116191226b.jpgR_1116191226c.jpgR_1116191226e.jpgR_1116191226.jpg

I would not fill any of the imperfections. I would surface grind it until a large majority of the surfaces are ground flat, test and lap if needed to parallel, and then let it be. Stay away from the holes when using it. Maybe color the holes with red Dykem, which could say "not mine!"

If but I had the time and a surface grinder. Gotta get one someday.
They were going cheap 10+ years ago, but here lately...
And for a kicker I scored a box of 12 surface grinder wheels at the same sale.

poor parallel looks like it was in a shop full of rookies o_O

if you cleaned and de-rusted the parallel, you could prepare some JB weld and fill the holes
the parallel then could be lapped flat on wet/dry sandpaper,water, and a piece of thick glass
you can blue it up on a surface plate to ascertain flatness then measure for parallelism.
the method is not perfect, but it will get you very close.

correcting parallelism will be another problem, but it is a short piece and can be done with a bunch of measuring and elbow grease :grin:

How TF do you drill into the end of a parallel? I get drilling into the working surfaces but the end? WTF?

How TF do you drill into the end of a parallel? I get drilling into the working surfaces but the end? WTF?
That's actually how I spotted it, that and the "I" shape.
I figure the poor, neglected, abused thing needs to spend it's retirement in a nice friendly locale.

poor parallel looks like it was in a shop full of rookies o_O

if you cleaned and de-rusted the parallel, you could prepare some JB weld and fill the holes
the parallel then could be lapped flat on wet/dry sandpaper,water, and a piece of thick glass
you can blue it up on a surface plate to ascertain flatness then measure for parallelism.
the method is not perfect, but it will get you very close.

correcting parallelism will be another problem, but it is a short piece and can be done with a bunch of measuring and elbow grease :grin:
Why do I always forget about good ol' JB Weld?

Something like that you don't restore, you use it for a clamping block.

Something like that you don't restore, you use it for a clamping block.

.....or (I presume from the look of it) keep using it as a sacrificial spacer to save the drill-press table until there are more holes than metal.

Back