How do you ask your wife to leave?

Do I ask her?

• Total voters

GunsOfNavarone

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Yes, I'm afraid it is that time. All relationships change over time. Needs, wants, desires, etc... After 30 years, I need to ask my wife to leave.....the garage. Seriously, I need more space! That would be HUGE! We have a 2 car garage and my half is packed with tools and machines....her side? A stoopid car. Not even a awesome car...just a car.
Anyone else been in or currently in this position? What to do??

GunsOfNavarone

No real estate for that David...and HOA's here have their noses in EVERYTHING you do. I need to sell her car and buy her a bicycle!

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
You have half the garage.

I'm not familiar with Lakewood but in Michigan we get snow.

Free up more space on your side or move to a place where you can have a dedicated shop.

JMHO,

John

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
H-M Platinum Supporter
I'd say ...
"It's not you, it's me.
please don't be hurt.
you are still attractive and fun to play with, but that only goes so far.
I'm a man who has needs and desires, that only the cold touch of cast iron or steel, or possibly an optical comparator can satisfy.
honey we had a good run- but i want to see other machines- in the garage.
don't go away mad, just go away from my garage"

Aukai

Your screwed unless you move, or you downsize. I have SLOOOOOOOWLY encroached to about 2/3-3/4 of the garage, but she, and I park outside, no HOA. I also put up a 20 x 25 single slope steel carport for the Chevelle, and the 67 Nova

Mini Cooper S

Your problem is that you let her in there to begin with! We built our house 40 years ago and the mistake that I made was we built the garage too small, only 24 Ft. x 24 Ft. In 40 years our cars have only been in the garage 2 winters, the rest of the time it's been British street cars or the British vintage race cars. :grin:

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
There's a car in your garage ? :grin: I got the front end of the Honda Civic past the garage door once , only after removing the Kubota , zero turn and 3 four wheelers .

samstu

Registered
Registered
You can buy cheaper than u can build. Look for a building / barn / shop near you. Maybe some space for office/her hobby. Maybe get some land too.

My shop building is 2 miles away. No complaints from wife or neighbors. No HOA. 3 phase power too. This shop I own.

For a couple years, I rented a commercial unit in an industrial park. Other guys had shops there, so I lent and borrowed tools and expertise. I miss that connection.

Otherwise there's always the basement or a lift for her car.

Or she could get an off shift job so that pesky car isn't in the way of real work.

samstu

Registered
Registered
Disregard previous post. Don't build anything. Your wife's car should be replaced with a heavy service truck with a welder, tools, air compressor etc. Make sure it's 4 wheel drive and diesel. Let her pick the color.

Tozguy

Active User
Ask her if you can install a new drill press in the kitchen because there is nowhere else to put it that you can find. And not to worry that you will find a way not to track dirt and grease in from the garage when you come in the kitchen to use it. She might come up with a better idea than you where to put it.

Last edited:

extropic

Active User
Registered
ROTFLMAO.

But seriously, you could gain some useful storage volume by using pallet rack to create a "loft" over the hood of her car.
It does have a hood doesn't it? Two uprights (40-44" wide) to the ceiling plus at least four beams and there you are.
The upright in the center of the garage is a "wall" that can also be useful.
Can you park a cargo or camping trailer in your side yard?
I'm certain you realize that any damage to her car (or anything else) will be your fault.
Don't ask her to leave the garage without remuneration. Make a deal with her. What does she want more of? :bawling:

GunsOfNavarone

You can buy cheaper than u can build. Look for a building / barn / shop near you. Maybe some space for office/her hobby. Maybe get some land too.

My shop building is 2 miles away. No complaints from wife or neighbors. No HOA. 3 phase power too. This shop I own.

For a couple years, I rented a commercial unit in an industrial park. Other guys had shops there, so I lent and borrowed tools and expertise. I miss that connection.

Or she could get an off shift job so that pesky car isn't in the way of real work.
Ultimately, we are going to retire early and move..maybe to Tennessee. I WILL HAVE a free standing, dedicated steel structure...NO CARS. But that won't be for 5 years if all goes well (I'll be 55-56 then)

GunsOfNavarone

Ask her if you can install a new drill press in the kitchen because there is nowhere else to put it that you can find. And not to worry that you will find a way not to track dirt and grease in from the garage when you come in the kitchen to use it. She might come up with a better idea than you where to put it.
Oh...she'll come u with a good idea for where I should put it alright! :grin big:

GunsOfNavarone

This! Not that HOA would allow HERE...but next home.
Steel pre fab
Anyone have good bad stories with something like this (pre fab)

brino

Confirmed Tool User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I need to sell her car and buy her a bicycle!
That just might send another, even more dangerous message....... :fat::chunky:

I have SLOOOOOOOWLY encroached to about 2/3-3/4 of the garage, but she, and I park outside, no HOA.
.....and much less snow, no doubt!

There's a car in your garage ?
Certainly not in mine. The lathe bench is in front of one roll-up door; it hasn't been opened for about 10 years.
About two years ago I bolted the welding table to the floor blocking 1/2 of the other roll-up door.
The downside, I have to work on the cars in the gravel driveway....and hope the job can wait for spring.....

-brino

Dhal22

This forum has me thinking. I bought a warehouse a few years ago (also 2 miles from my house) and the tenants more than pay the mortgage by a good bit. There is one space open that I've been kicking myself to rent but this forum has me thinking about keeping it for myself...... I don't think it has 3 phase power though. :apologize:

mksj

Active User
I don't think it has 3 phase power though
Easy enough to setup an RPC or add some VFD's. Some of the newer RPC's are surprisingly quiet and plug and play. I saw the AMP by American Rotary at the Bar Z, you hardly new it was running, super simple and portable or just make your own.

Tozguy

Active User
I'd say ...
"It's not you, it's me.
please don't be hurt.
you are still attractive and fun to play with, but that only goes so far.
I'm a man who has needs and desires, that only the cold touch of cast iron or steel, or possibly an optical comparator can satisfy.
honey we had a good run- but i want to see other machines- in the garage.
don't go away mad, just go away from my garage"
What if th answer is:
"No problemo, just be sure to make room in YOUR garage for a frig, stove and bed.''

SLK001

Registered
Registered
Start moving equipment into the living room. When she complains, tell her you'll move it into the garage IF she moves her car out. Let her be part of the "solution"!

higgite

Professional Crastinator
Ultimately, we are going to retire early and move..maybe to Tennessee. I WILL HAVE a free standing, dedicated steel structure...NO CARS. But that won't be for 5 years if all goes well (I'll be 55-56 then)
How much is her car worth? Can you sell it for 5 years' worth of Uber fares? You're welcome. :grin:

Tom

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock