How do you ask your wife to leave?

Do I ask her?

• Total voters
When my wife could no longer park in our 1200sf garage, she told me to add on to the barn and move down there. Now I have 2100sf and actually have her car in the old space. If I get my new space finished this year we may have space for both family cars to be inside. She's a good women, and deserves much better than me, but she hasn't chucked me out yet. Mike

I'd say ...
"It's not you, it's me.
please don't be hurt.
you are still attractive and fun to play with, but that only goes so far.
I'm a man who has needs and desires, that only the cold touch of cast iron or steel, or possibly an optical comparator can satisfy.
honey we had a good run- but i want to see other machines- in the garage.
don't go away mad, just go away from my garage"
Yeah, women just can't compete with the feel of cold cast iron :)
I do have to treat Glenda nicely though, she is the major bread winner.

A car in the garage? I've heard of that happening. :cool 2:
When we moved in here I had thoughts of keeping one half of 24x24 open for vehicle repairs.
I've only pulled that off twice in (7) years. And that was just the front end barely into the shop.
And then when I scored the Bridgeport everything shifted so now even that's not possible.

When our house was built 15 years ago the garage is actually 2.5 car size, and I had no thoughts of it becoming a shop.originally we had two cars and two motorbikes in there But then I got a bigger car 4x4 wagon, and it would quite fit only a couple of cm. I had to move it outside.

So I built a car port where the 4X4 stands. Then failing hips and back I had my bike converted to a trike, now everything is wedged in so tight I have to constantly move something just to get at anything else.

Then about 3 years ago I decided to get the lathe, once installed she squealed and cried and was most upset because although her car would still fit, it was only just, She said that I would get cranky if she hit the lathe and damaged it. Now, I said, I'm the most placid guy you could ever want to meet She sort of agreed, but still wasn't happy.

After about a week of her being unhappy, I put my thinking cap on, And suddenly, I had already decided I wanted a duckboard in front of the lathe, I had the idea, make the duckboard so that when the front wheels of the car touch the duckboard that is where she must stop. Has worked well for 3 years, so all happy again.

Explain it to her in a friendly manner but clearly that a garage is not a place to park cars.
Fake a few accidents in the shop like trip over a wire, or something like that , when she asks what happened tell her the garage is so cramped that one of these days you may have a serious accident .she need to see how urgent it is to move out and save her beloved hubby.

No don't ask her, Tell her to park outside.

Or

Buy her a new Suv or truck that is to tall to fit in the garage.....lol

Or

Find a commercial building for lease....... like me.....

View attachment 318277
Now that's a nice size shop, the milling machine looks so small in that corner, it would take I/3 of the space in my shop.

The problem here is calling the space a “garage” instead of a “shop”. First item on the agenda is to erase the word “garage” from your vocabulary. Tell her that you know how much she appreciates you allowing her to park her car in your shop for however long it has been and that you have been more than happy to allow her to use the heretofore “extra” space in your shop. But, the time has come that the space occupied by her car is no longer “extra”, it is vital shop space that you now desperately need to continue functioning as a bread winner and ideal husband. Praise her profusely for her understanding of the situation and willingness to park her car elsewhere and offer to give her 24 hours to move her car. Trust me, I know from experience that this approach works. To wit, I now have full access to and use of the half of my garage where my ex used to park her car.

Tom

Higgite....

You mention "ex". I am thinking that in your exhuberance in obtaining full use of your grara... shop, some other factors may have been overlooked.

Back