How do you ask your wife to leave?

Do I ask her?

• Total voters
blimey!

you need to think 3 dimensional. It's like a giant puzzle. First thing to do is to get everything that can be moved off the floor up onto shelves or hanging from the ceiling. Then make a decent bench if you don't already have one so you can organise the things you need to use on a daily or weekly basis. Then figure out what gets used the least (hydraulic press and arbor press for me) and put those near the back against a wall with moveable stuff in front (bandsaw and bikes for me, maybe a welding cart for others). Then figure out what can go under or behind things in dead space. My 6x26 mill and Walker Turner drill press are like this \ / against the back wall.

You'd be amazed at what you can fit into 1/2 of a small 2 car garage. I have a 6x26 mill, floor standing DP, 4x6HF bandsaw, 10t press and 3t arbor press, 6 bikes, a 12ft long bench and a small bench lathe in my "1/2" of the garage, plus space for a bike work stand. Now, I often have to move my commuter bike around if I want to use more than one of those tools as it's typically resting against one of the other ones, but it's all pretty accessible and usable with little effort.

The big plus is that the car is out of the Texan sun in summer and out of the rain and cold in the winter. Would be even better if we lived somewhere where it snowed. Car stays looking good for longer too, no hazing headlights and fading paint.

blimey!

you need to think 3 dimensional. It's like a giant puzzle. First thing to do is to get everything that can be moved off the floor up onto shelves or hanging from the ceiling. Then make a decent bench if you don't already have one so you can organise the things you need to use on a daily or weekly basis. Then figure out what gets used the least (hydraulic press and arbor press for me) and put those near the back against a wall with moveable stuff in front (bandsaw and bikes for me, maybe a welding cart for others). Then figure out what can go under or behind things in dead space. My 6x26 mill and Walker Turner drill press are like this \ / against the back wall.

You'd be amazed at what you can fit into 1/2 of a small 2 car garage. I have a 6x26 mill, floor standing DP, 4x6HF bandsaw, 10t press and 3t arbor press, 6 bikes, a 12ft long bench and a small bench lathe in my "1/2" of the garage, plus space for a bike work stand. Now, I often have to move my commuter bike around if I want to use more than one of those tools as it's typically resting against one of the other ones, but it's all pretty accessible and usable with little effort.

The big plus is that the car is out of the Texan sun in summer and out of the rain and cold in the winter. Would be even better if we lived somewhere where it snowed. Car stays looking good for longer too, no hazing headlights and fading paint.
I have used every vertical and horizontal inch in the "shop". I'm building a short chop/bobber and it's a struggle to find room to do anything. A have a foot or 2 in front of each of my most used machines/toolbox etc...but it's also limited any expansion I really want a cnc plasma table. I would have a lot more if I had room. I do get paid to work in y shop as I work from home every Thursday for my employer making/fixing things. So technically, it is my partial office as well.

Yes, like everything else in a marriage you need to be open about what is going on with you. Be prepared to really listen to her concerns. DO NOT dismiss or rationalize anything while you are discussing it. Talk maybe 1/4 the time you normally would and don't be afraid of waiting until she breaks the silence.

If she wants to talk it through go ahead but let her lead with her concerns. If she's anything like my wife she will need time to process the change you are proposing, make sure she knows it's not a decision you have already made and are just looking for her acceptance/acquiesce. It probably goes along with the discussion about retirement and what type of lifestyle you are planning for that so the better you two are alligned in that area the more likely you'll be able to come to some kind of agreement.

Are you prepared to go out and clear her car off every time she wants to run down the street to visit a friend? Really think it through and make sure you can see things from her perspective as much as possible. It might be a BIG deal for her, or it might not but you won't know unless you discuss it.

John

I have used every vertical and horizontal inch in the "shop". I'm building a short chop/bobber and it's a struggle to find room to do anything. A have a foot or 2 in front of each of my most used machines/toolbox etc...but it's also limited any expansion I really want a cnc plasma table. I would have a lot more if I had room. I do get paid to work in y shop as I work from home every Thursday for my employer making/fixing things. So technically, it is my partial office as well.

This virus is making almost everyone re-asses what is important in life. If your employer is willing to give you an extra few days a month to work from home that might be seen as positive for your wife, provided you are pleasant to be around while you are, or it allows you to do additional stuff for your home.

If you're planning on moving in 5 years now is the time to start clearing stuff out. A shop expansion might make sense, or maybe there's a spot in the house (like a spare room) for small detail work that doesn't involve chips or fumes. Or maybe there's a hobby that she would like to get into that would be compatible with extra shop space where her car used to be.

Many of us are married to women who are much smarter than we are (raises hand) so any problem we see is intractable they might have a good solution for it.

John

Back