How do you ask your wife to leave?

Do I ask her?

• Total voters
So 26.7% say tell her to get out, 13.3% say let her stay and 60% say I'm screwed. Looks like I will have to wait until we move. In the interim, I will pull her car out a lot, put things in her way and maybe take my time getting them moved until she can get back in...set a situation of inconvenience for both of us I guess. Seems sort of passive aggressive, but come on, I live for my shop, I get paid to work in there. I have made her tools and things she needs (she has a dog collar making business.) I keep this house and all 3 cars running.That garage, NO DOUBT, keeps this household moving. RIGHT?!

So 26.7% say tell her to get out, 13.3% say let her stay and 60% say I'm screwed. Looks like I will have to wait until we move. In the interim, I will pull her car out a lot, put things in her way and maybe take my time getting them moved until she can get back in...set a situation of inconvenience for both of us I guess. Seems sort of passive aggressive, but come on, I live for my shop, I get paid to work in there. I have made her tools and things she needs (she has a dog collar making business.) I keep this house and all 3 cars running.That garage, NO DOUBT, keeps this household moving. RIGHT?!

But why not talk it through with her?

I spent many, many years moving cars out of the way and having a real shop only in the summer. Then I decided some of the stuff that was just being stored could be stored somewhere else. Finally I sold my mom's car and have fully half the garage to work in most of the time.

The situation to avoid is resentment. If you discuss it you will know her feelings and can deal with them, if not you will always be operating with a "could have been" attitude that doesn't help anyone. Maybe her business could be expanded in the newly freed up space and your talents could be used for a dog tag line to complement it. Who knows, it might even go well enough that you can retire even earlier and get that new shop, one that will pay for itself.

john

Missing question from the survey: Would I be foolish to take advice on my marital relationship from a TH-M survey?

Edit: advice, not advise

Last edited:
Missing question from the survey: Would I be foolish to take advise on my marital relationship from a TH-M survey?
@extropic this really is for fun. I'm PROBABLY not going t much...other than grumble under my breath. It is on my mind a lot, this is my outlet all the time, but right now, it's kinda my everything. After work last night, I just went and welded coupon for an hour, I'm making a case today for some of my calibration tools. Somewhere to forget what's going on in the world....

I guess you could do what I did, just go buy another piece of property with a shop already on it and tell her about it after the deal was done. ;)

@JimDawson That will be the deal when we retire early and move from Colorado. She knows the free standing detached shop is a must have, or at least the land to build it on.

@extropic this really is for fun. I'm PROBABLY not going t much...other than grumble under my breath. It is on my mind a lot, this is my outlet all the time, but right now, it's kinda my everything. After work last night, I just went and welded coupon for an hour, I'm making a case today for some of my calibration tools. Somewhere to forget what's going on in the world....

I understood it's all tongue-in-cheek.
My previous reply was supposed to be more of the same.
I should have included some emoticons. :laughing:

The question might be for fun but it's a serious question. If there was something really important to her wouldn't you want to know about it and discuss it with her?

Certainly this isn't the place for making decisions that should be made with one's spouse, but it actually is a good place to find out how others have dealt with similar questions. The older I get the more I wish I had learned from the experience of others more than my own....

What we (everyone in the whole world) is going through now with COVID-19 will end up having a deep impact on how we see ourselves, our communities and the larger world around us. Now is a great time to sit down with the people we love and have real discussions about what is important in life and how we can support each other.

I honestly believe you would be doing a disservice to your marriage by not discussing it with your wife.

Sorry to be so serious about this but it clearly means a lot to you and there really is no better time to discuss these things than right now when everyone's plans are in flux.

John

Back