How Do You Budget/Prioritize For Tooling Expense?

After carving usable threads by hand I find I can always make what I have work. Tools now are about maximizing my free lucid hours.

A marraige license is a PhD in hand work ;)

A whiteboard is a good idea. I currently use a spiral bound notebook. One page is devoted to NEED (job specific stuff) and expendables. Another page is for the WANT (i.e. stuff I could use but not immediately). These are the things I keep an eye open for at auctions or craigslist/e-bay. So time is on my side to hunt and find a good deal.
Sometimes I'll buy a group of items at a sale just to get one thing. Then sell off the rest. Easy to wind up with duplicates or more than you need. So I have to be stringent about selling it instead of just sticking it on a shelf.

I also have a page devoted to TO DO & projects. Cross off as done. Helps keep me focused and prevents half finished stuff from sitting around.

Consider yourself lucky that you have a wife that wants to spend time with you even after 35 yrs! I suggest you set date nights where she can have your full attention- I mean, really listening and having dialogues not just nodding while thinking about how you'll hold your next work piece on the mill.

As for budgets, don't set one budget forever. Budgets change as you progress. Believe me, if it wasn't for my need to acquire new hobbies every couple of years and then buying all sorts of crap for them, I'd have been retired by now...well the hobbies and the divorce killed that dream lol Lately it's been machining and I've bought a ton of stuff because it seems every project I want to do I need 5 things that I don't own. Like right now I could really use a tapping head (for 60+ holes in a fixture plate) but I've already spent a lot the last couple of months and while I can certainly 'afford' one I'll try doing without it first. I still don't have v-blocks, 5c collets set, angle plates and other 'basic' things but I haven't had the need. My amazon wishlist is a mile long and gets longer every time I visit sites like this and others related to my hobbies.

3. Medical
Hmmm- Two "different" responses for the same place on the list. Coincidence? I think NOT! :big grin:

But seriously- My Dad was a general contractor, small time operation. What he always said about tooling was- "The FIRST time you need a spendy tool, rent or borrow it. The SECOND time you need that tool, BUY IT. Most likely, you will save time, money AND friendships."

I’m a single single father.......
1-house and utilities
2-food for kids
3-tools
4-food for me

I’m a single single father.......
1-house and utilities
2-food for kids
3-tools
4-food for me

Back