[Antique] How Do You Clean Your Machines

tfleming

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Ok, so some of you may have seen my posts on the Lodge and Shipley lathe I just picked up. Here is the link if you want to see the thread: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/can-anyone-id-this-lathe.51534/

So, the old girl need a bath badly.......and she won't fit into my parts washer! LOL. in any case, I also don't want to do a complete tear down (which even if I did I have the bed to contend with). I have a steam Jenny, and was considering steaming her off in the driveway, then immediately follow up with an oil bath after she dried off a wee bit.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Put her in your pickup, and head for the car wash! :eek 2:

Water based degreaser or Stoddard solvent works well with some soaking and scrubbing where necessary. A pressure washer helps to get the gunk off, but takes more paint with it... I prefer to use solvent and keep water away from my machines.

+1 on the mineral spirits
honorable mentions to Kerosene, and diesel fuel when choice #1 is not there

Whatever you solvent of choice.
Please be careful of runoff and storage/disposal of rags and trash.
Depending on the size of the project and quantity or waste, standard trash disposal may not be a legal option or safe option.
And yes spontaneous combustion happens. It only needs to get to the auto-ignition temp.

Daryl
MN

Thanks for the replies. The reason I was leaning towards the steam Jenny, is that I can hit it with 200 degree water, and control the amount of pressure based upon the distance of the nozzle from the lathe. I too am not a fan of water near machinery, but this one is downright nasty filthy with nearly 100 years of oil, cup grease, swarf, dirt, etc. My thoughts were if I were to give her a good 20 mins with the steamer, that would melt/wash away a good bit of the crud. Then I can let it dry for a bit, with the residual heat speeding up the process. Lastly, she would get a coat of oil to reduce/eliminate any rust until I go through it all with the wire brush. I would certainly dismantle the headstock before embarking on this process. Tailstock and apron would also be removed.

I am also a fan of Stoddard, but my only concern there is this is at least a 10-15 gallon job for that......which could become a wee bit pricey. I certainly have not decided how to approach this yet, but I very much appreciate the comments and feedback. It will help me decide on an approach.

Lowes has greased Lightening in 5 gallons for 26 bucks and it works well.

Sams gas a 3 pack of and pump type grill cleaner for 9 bucks but it will attack the paint.

Mix a batch of strong dawn in garden sprayer to rinse and it will keep the gunk more under control.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

i used petrol/diesel mix as had load of it thanks to sister and new car.
i cut the bristles down on some paint brushes so stiffer ( pound shop ones (( suppose that would be dollar store for you)) .
oh and toothbrushes are good to.
on really bad bits worked it in left it while had coffee worked a treat.
but make sure to dispose of all rags etc as they are fire risk.

you can also use washing powder in hot water

Last edited:
Back