How Do You Dispose Of Your Chips?

all metals into the re/cycling bin, where they go after that I have no idea, not worth my time separating them.

Last week, I took a load of alumnium cans in, a whopping 17 cents a pound. spent more in gas, then I got back.
Ouch. Prices are really down right now. Of course good time to buy scrap metal.

I ask painters for their empty 20 litre buckets with lids and put swarf and scraps.(sorted), in them. When full the lid goes on.
When I have a trailer full they go to the scrap yard.

Mine goes to the recyclers in empty 5 gallon solvent or lacquer cans. I drill holes in the cans so they dont fill up with water. They go in a scrap pile behind my barn and once a year go to the recycler.
Cheers
Martin

My local transfer station takes any metal scrap free for recycling. I just put them in large garbage bags and drop them off.

Ted

I take a tote to my local scrapper and ask him where he wants it. Usually I'm told to dump it into one of the auto hulks
getting ready for reprocessing. It's mostly ferric. Throwing it "away" in the trash sends it to the land fill so I don't do that.
After all, your "away" is getting to be someone else's back yard these days.

Keep a bucket for chips when it’s about half full it goes to the recycling center and into the metal container.

I used to throw them loose in the trash can but then one day noticed the havoc it created when the refuse collector ( garbage man ) emptied the can. Metal dust was everywhere and I kind of felt bad. The light bulb went off when I was throwing away the 30 pound plastic bag which was the dog food bag. Really heavy plastic and almost monthly when I’m refilling the dog food receptacle... I then go and empty all the shards from 5 gallon buckets into this big plastic bag.
No more metal screwing with the refuse collectors and no more loose metal shards on the ground in the street.
I know it sounds anal....just can’t help it.

Just used the chips from my last arbor project + HCL to make some ferric chloride for pcb etching. So I didn't really dispose of them, they're still here:)
-Mark

Back