How do you Figure out the Feed Rate on Manual Mills?

Guns said “I would love to have someone with some serious skills show me the ropes...”

Just ake your time and those skills will become self taught. Learn by doing.

Although I’m still learning I am amazed at how much the process of ‘just doing it’ is a GREAT teacher.

If you take too light a cut and too small a feed you run the risk of rubbing instead of cutting. Rubbing is a fast way to dull an end mill. Newbies are usually cautious which is good, but too light a cut just plain wears out your tools. Nothing wrong with breaking a few smaller endmills in the pursuit of learning what your machine and you can and can not do.
NO DOUBT I take too light of bites...I'm trying to break that habbit. As i MOSTLY use a 5/8" end mill, i never want to see what that takes to break!

NO DOUBT I take too light of bites...I'm trying to break that habbit. As i MOSTLY use a 5/8" end mill, i never want to see what that takes to break!

A larger endmill (1/2 +) is probably a good place to start. You can learn what it will take without much danger of breaking it. Once you have a feel for it, you can try smaller cutters.

Back