How do you lubricate the spindle bearings in an Index Model 40 Mill?

WillieP

Registered
Registered
How do you lubricate the spindle bearings in an Index Model 40 Mill? I am slowly working on getting my Index 40 mill in good running condition. It actually runs pretty well, but I am going over it and cleaning and checking everything. Regarding the spindle, there are two holes in the right side of the quill. Each is plugged with a slotted plug screw. The upper one is accessible only through a hole in the quill housing. I removed these plug screws from their holes. The lower one exposes the spindle. The upper hole bottoms out in a conical hole into something brass. Are these lubrication points? It does not seem so to me. I tried squirting a small amount of spindle oil in the lower hole and it eventually came out between the spindle nose and quill. Oil placed in the upper hole flows back out.

Willie,

What you have just done is pretty much it. A few drops of oil in the lower hole is all the lubrication the spindle needs. Not too sure what the upper hole is for. The spindle bearings that Index uses requires very little lubrication. Don't do what I did, install a grease zerk and fill it with Lubriplate 101 grease. What a mistake! Grease oozed out for months on end. Spindle runs hot!! Added a little oil to the grease to break it down a little, finally after 8 years, it getting better. I really need to tear it down, clean and reassemble, but I don't use the mill enough to justify doing so.

For us home shop users, a little oil once a while in the spindle is all the lubrication needed. IF you run it at the higher speeds, I would suggest oiling more often. Just remember the more you oil you squirt in that hole the more that will run out. just a few drops is all it needs. Ken

I just found the hole on the upper end of the a was searching for answers myself. The one on my Index 40 has a socket head set screw. I have dumped oil along side of the shafting through the pulleys. I just eventally all comes out the spindle end.
Guess I will have to bite the bullet and send Wells Index money for a manual.

Charlie

Back