How do YOU make a "T" nut for your QCTP?

Re: How do YOU make a "T" nut for your QCTP?

Ditto to what Frank said. :thumbzup: I'd like to add a bit as well. If you are making your own "T" make sure that the stud cannot screw in so far as to go completely through the "T". If this were to happen when you were tightening it, you could break the "ears" off the compound or do other nasty damage. On my Aloris "T" stock they left the last couple of threads un-cut or missing so it can't go through. Even if you use loctite it can come loose after a time (if not used properly) so be sure to do it right. Frank's suggestion of pinning would also be a good way to prevent this from happening.

-Ron

thank you.. ok, aluminum is out.. hadn't thought of the threads, I was worried that 1/4 for the ears of the t would not be strong enough.

Ron,
good tip on not threading through all the way..

--Roger

To avoid screwing the tool post screw all the way through the T nut,and erupting the top right out of the compound,don't thread all the way through it. If you have already done that,take a cold chisel,and damage the threads at the bottom of the T nut's hole to stop the screw from protruding through. You can see similar treatment on the set of T nuts you buy for the milling machine. Their bottom threads are damaged to avoid pulling a hunk out of the T slots on the milling machine's table.

Or if the stud's length will allow it, face it off so that the length of thread is slightly shorter than the thickness of your plate.

then install the "Dutchman"

I understand the concept and how a "Dutchman" works but how exactly do you install one on a QCTP? Do you simply drill and tap a hole from the bottom of the T-nut at the point where the stud meets the T-nut? Then install a threaded pin? I've attached a drawing with how I think it would be done. Is that right? :headscratch:

Attachments

• DUTCHMAN QCTP.pdf
    13.8 KB · Views: 79

You got it, Kent. Some people drill and ream a hole for a spring in, just because it's simpler, and no chance of tap breakage, but a set screw works fine too. And you only need one to prevent any rotation. And it doesn't need to be terribly long. The prevailing torque in the situation created by loosening the nut on top is actually pretty low, so it doesn't need much to hold it.
Actually, the most difficult part (and it's nothing, really) is to prevent the stud from turning while you drill/ream/tap, whatever you decide. A drop of Loctite would solve that simply enough.

Frank,
Thanks for the added information. Exactly the type of explanation an amateur like me needs. Yes, it would make total sense to place the "dutchman" 90 degrees to where I showed it. That was my 1 minute sketch I drew at work while I should have been doing something else. :nono:

I was about to ask what NF was but a quick google search got me to National Fine Thread.

Thanks again!

Jumping in late, just made a set out of 6061 alluminum for my 10" rotory table, and drill press. Am I heading for a giant disastor? The threads are 3/8-16 x 1". This was all that was availabe at the time. Any input would be helpful, don't want to end up an internet failled story.:phew:

What would this thread be without at least one hack? I needed an extra T nut for a fixture so I used two pieces of plate. I cut the top one to the narrow width and the bottom one to the wide width of the slot. I welded them together and tapped for the fixture. It was supposed to be temporary but I still use it 6 years later.

DSC_0900.JPG

Back