How do YOU make a "T" nut for your QCTP?

Re: How do YOU make a "T" nut for your QCTP?

Show off!! :rolleyes: :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Just wait Mike. I'll be able to do that too as soon as I get mine all set/tooled up. :p :biggrin:

That is very cool. Really makes me want to put a little more effort in to get my horizontal motor in to play on the W-I.

-Ron

hawkeye, you suck. . . . . .:phew: (thats a compliment) that makes the job wayyyy to easy. . . . .

The important thing is to make sure that the sides of the inverted "T" are parallel,if you file it out. If not,your lathe compound could be broken by unequal forces,too few contact points,etc,pulling up on the compound when it is under tension during a cut.

If you can't make the T nut any other way,just turning the round riser in the lathe is perfectly O.K.,because the only purpose of the tall part of the T nut is to make the threaded hole deep enough to make strong threads.

At least,if you face this part in your lathe,leaving the tall neck, you can be sure it is parallel,and will touch the T slot in the compound everywhere properly.If you must make it by hand,use blue paste to check that it fits everywhere under the T slot in the compound.

I agree with you Frank. The method you suggest is pretty much the one I prefer using. Unfortunately if one doesn't have a mill (or shaper) available to them they need to have an alternate way to get it done. That's where the "lathe method" comes in to play. It's also my "gut instinct" that the "T" with the rounded portion, as produced by the lathe, would not be as strong or as rigid as a conventionally shaped "T" but it would take some good structural analysis to determine if those differences are great enough to have any affect on the system. (I would like to see such analysis if anyone was looking for something to do... :biggrin:)

In this case it didn't matter how much setup time it took as it was still faster than trying to accomplish the same thing with a hacksaw and file.

BTW, once I get my shaper back to life or now that I do have a mill, I will probably make a couple more "T"s.

Thanks,

-Ron

that steel tee-nut is going to be stronger than the cast iron compound is, round boss or rectangular.

Then I drill and tap the threads for the stud. Screw in the stud and use red locktite. I revese the "T" with the stud installed and drill and tap a dutchman
Frank

I can't find anything to explain what a dutchman is as in Frank's post. Can anyone explain, or provide a picture or reference for me?

Chuck

Dutchman's pin

Although I can't imagine going to all that trouble for a tool post stud. Or Loctite either for that matter. Just good threads are sufficient. One could also use drilled and tapped holes instead of pressed in pins. Not worth the effort.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the explanations Frank and Tony. I actually knew what they were, and have used them, just had not heard them called a Dutchman.

Chuck

Wow, this thread is perfect, just got a shars bxa sized qctp.

I want to make a t nut for my clausing lathe.. the dimensions of compound t slot are (roughly) t-width 1 3/8, t thickness 1/4, throat width 1, throat height 5/16, compound width 2-3/4.

my choices are 3/16 square plate steel.. unknown type or 2024-t351 aluminum (alcoa brand is stamped on it).
I would like to use the aluminum as I have enough thickness, but will that be strong enough to hold the qctp?

the center post is 5/8 with 5/8-18 threading on it.

I don't feel comfortable machining the original (yet).

thanks!

Roger

IF you have a LARGE,powerful lathe,the T nut needs to be made as rigid as possible. But,for the smaller home shop grade machines most here likely have,I think the round top T nut would be good enough. I do make parallel topped T nuts myself,but I have a 16" lathe,and 3 milling machines,so I can do whatever I want. Every time I buy a new thing to mount on the T slot,like a toolpost grinder,I have to make a new T nut,and I have 2 different lathes,so it has happened several times that I make T nuts.

Back