How do you remove metal stuck to your shoes before walking into the house?

I use an aggressive door mat followed by “Disposable Sticky-Surface Mat, 18" x 36" x 0.0900"” from Macmastef Carr

howardd

My shop is about 75 feet from the house, plus I use a floor mat at the house door. Luckily, most of our floors are tile, not wood, so scratches aren't an issue with the occasional bits left on my soles.

Actually I usually wear moccasins when I go into the basement where the machines reside and I'm not machining. Whenever I use the mill or the lathe, I will sweep and vacuum afterwards. My mill has a coolant package with a set of guards on the coolant tray and on the bed itself. It does a fairly good job of controlling flying chips. The lathe doesn't throw a lot of turnings on the floor.

I also have a series of mats between the shop and the living area which will catch most of the chips. If I happen to embed one that doesn't come out on the mats, the first floor that I encounter is ceramic tile and I will hear the chip scraping. I will remove the chip before walking on the wood floors.

It isn't foolproof but it works fairly well. I make a point of picking up any chips that I see before they become a subject of discussion.

According to my wife, I don't.
Fact is, that's only half true. I have shoes that I put on before going into the shop and a track-off mattha I use before I come back into the house. My "shop" is in my drive-under garage, so it's adjacent to our finished basement, which I vacuum every other week.

Once in a great while, a chip or two gets through, but nothing gets upstairs.

Basically that’s my strategy is to have a shop pair of shoes. However chips in the clothing gets into the house. That how what few chips get into the house. When in worked at Eaton we had lockers. So I bought new work shoes and kept them at work. The same when I started out never wear work shoes in the house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep the floor clean.

Back